Last Wednesday I finally attended my first Pregnancy Support Group at Panzer, which was a huge step for me since I don't usually venture out on my own, especially to attend a group meeting. BUT....I really enjoyed it. What spurred me into going this particular time was that they were going to have several ladies there who had recently given birth at the German hospitals - two who gave birth at Böblingen where I will be. I thought it would be a great opportunity to hear first-hand what it was like.
I would have liked to hear more and ask more questions, but even so I found out some helpful information. There are two main hospitals that the Americans usually deliver at. One is Robert Bosch and the other is Böblingen . Robert Bosch is probably about 30-40 minutes away from us, which made our decision easy seeing how Böblingen hospital is jut 5-10 minutes away. The ladies who were at Böblingen said the staff all spoke English and being Americans with private insurance they felt they got more attention than the average German patient. One lady said she wouldn't want to give birth in America after having a baby here. That sounded positive.
Friday morning I finally went to the gym with Sam, but I felt rather defeated. I hadn't slept well that night due to back pain, so I wasn't feeling the best even before going. I did cardio and wanted to do some weights, but standing in the weight room I didn't know where to start. Prior to pregnancy I knew what my routine would be, but now I'm so restricted on what I can do....especially with having so much back pain. Anyhow, I'm trying not to feel too discouraged about it and want to go back next week. Hopefully I'll get into a routine that works for my pregnant self.
Gabby gave me a scare Friday afternoon. She came running downstairs acting funny. When I looked over at her, I noticed she had foam pouring out of her mouth. She was running around acting crazy and dripping foam everywhere. Immediately I wondered what she had gotten into. I ran upstairs and noticed one of my pills was laying on the floor with bite marks in it. It had been in my jeans pocket because I planned to take it at lunch, but forgot. It must have dropped out of the pocket when I changed after getting home. I didn't know what to do, but soaked a towel with water and tried to wipe out her mouth. I tried to call the Panzer vet clinic, but they were closed and I didn't know any German clinics to call. When I called Sam, he suggested I call the vet clinic back in Alaska. (I married such a smart man :) I called them and they said I should rinse her mouth out and try to give her fluids, but otherwise she would be fine. What a relief! I was so scared, but I think she was just foaming from getting the medicine on her tongue. Thankfully, she didn't swallow the pill. That probably would have been much worse.
I am constantly in awe of how much this baby moves. Sometimes it seems like she never takes a break. I love it though. It's wonderful to feel her moving around. Knowing she's in there for such a short time makes me enjoy it even more. I could do without the back and sciatic nerve pain, but otherwise I really enjoy being pregnant. It's a miracle to have a baby growing inside of me. Saturday night we were in bed and the baby was moving so much that I looked at my belly and I could see the little kicks. Sam was able to see her kicking too. That was pretty neat. Since then I've been able to see her kicking a lot.
Sam and I are signed up for several childbirth classes in April. I think they'll be really good. I'm glad Sam's so willing to go to them with me. I think it's important for him to be involved in what he can be. I won't make him go to the Breastfeeding Basics though :)
Sam invited several guys over tonight to watch the Super Bowl. He was all prepared for his "guy fest", but wouldn't you know none of them showed up. Poor guy. Rochelle was the only person to come so he ended up watching the game with two pregnant women. Not quite what he had in mind I don't think. He's been getting sick throughout this last week, so I don't think he minded not having a crowd here. Well, it's very late, so I better head to bed.
Monday, February 02, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment