It's been a rather draining week so far. I'm finally home from the hospital after being in and out of there since Monday. It's been a tough few days, but I'm very thankful to be home. I'm feeling quite a bit better, but I still have some concerns and will probably have to make another appointment with Urology. I have my regular appointment with my doctor tomorrow (Friday) morning, so we'll see what she says. With the language barrier it's been hard to know for sure what's going on with me, but after doing some research online I think it's called Hydronephrosis of Pregnancy. Basically it's a blockage in the kidney.
It all started Monday afternoon. We were up so late Sunday night with Super Bowl that we didn't get up until 11:00 on Monday. As Sam was leaving for work a little after 12:00 I mentioned that I wasn't feeling very good. I just thought my stomach was a bit upset and didn't think much of it. Throughout the day I was feeling worse, so I laid down on the couch. When I woke up a little later I felt much worse. I had a burning discomfort in my lower stomach and my back was killing me (it had been hurting for several weeks now). I thought it was probably a urinary tract infection (even though I'd never had one), but it just kept getting worse.
I took a shower to see if that would relieve the back pain. Finally around 5:00 I couldn't hold out any longer and called the doctor. She could see me at 6:30. I drove to where Sam was working and we went from there. I was in so much pain that I could barely talk though it. When we got to the doctor's office their first concern was that I might be having contractions, which I was pretty sure wasn't the case, but they hooked me up to a fetal monitor just to rule that out. It was excruciating to sit for the 30 minutes they monitored the baby, but at one point I couldn't help but smile because she's so active and kept kicking the monitor. It was funny because Sam could finally see how active she is too. He could hear every kick.
After monitoring the baby, Dr. Van de Castel did an ultrasound just to make sure the baby looked good and I told her I was hurting badly in my right kidney area. Looking at it with the ultrasound she could tell there was a blockage. She called it a stau (German for a backup - like a traffic stau). She wanted to admit me to the hospital overnight which I was not excited about. I was still under the impression that I just needed antibiotics and pain reliever. On the way home, Sam ran into the Apotheke (German pharmacy) to get the medicine. I took a pain pill right away. Thankfully, by the time we were getting home to pack for the hospital I was feeling much better. It felt so good not to hurt - it's something we truly take for granted.
After checking into the hospital, they hooked me up to another fetal monitor. During that time the pain started coming back. I don't usually have a hard time with needles, but the IV they put in my hand really hurt...and I had to leave it in all night. Just another miserable aspect of being in the hospital. At some point I told them I was having a lot of pain in my back again, so they gave me this herbal pain reliever through the IV. It did nothing to help the pain and I was finally in tears when I told them I needed something stronger.
I was checked into a double room (another American girl came in around 2:00am). Sam couldn't stay with me because there was going to be someone else in the room too. I had a long, miserable, painful night. The pain kept coming back every 2 hours after taking medication. The only nurse they had working the ward did not speak English, so it was hard to communicate. I tried to tell her I was in a lot of pain, but she would just look at me and smile. That wasn't much comfort when I was in so much pain. She hooked me up with another bottle of the herbal pain reliever. Of course, it didn't work. Finally, an hour later she brought in a midwife that spoke English. I was crying again from the pain and told her I needed real medication, not the herbal remedy I was hooked up to. This continued through the night. The other girl sharing the room was in there for a bad cold. We ended up talking several hours through the night. It helped to pass some of the time.
Sam came back around 7:00 the next morning. Dr. Weiss (the chief of OB/GYN at the hospital) made his rounds at 7:30 and said he wanted to send me to another hospital so I could be checked by Urology. Sam drove me there even though they wanted to take me in an ambulance. I was really sick and hurting again by the time we got there. The appointment at urology was absolutely miserable. They decided to put a Ureteral Stent (what they called a catheter) in from the blocked kidney to the bladder. That, on top of feeling so bad, was almost more than I could take.
The only good thing from that appointment was I guess it did what it was suppose to do since my kidney was able to drain and I didn't have that severe pain anymore. When we left there I told Sam to just take me home. I knew we had to go back to the hospital later to get signed out, but I just wanted to be home at that point. I crashed on the couch and slept awhile then later that afternoon we headed back to the hospital.
I won't go into detail here, but by the time I got back to the hospital I was having some problems with the stent. They tried to fix it there, but I'm still having a lot of pain in my stomach, which is why I will probably have to go back to Urology. Seriously, I've never been more tired of being poked and prodded. I feel like you lose all dignity in the German hospitals and you just become a body - not an individual who is in pain. I felt that especially at Urology. I didn't feel like they were professional or caring in any sense of the word. They were laughing and joking all through the procedure and I was in so much pain. It was a very frustrating experience.
Anyhow, when we went back to the hospital that afternoon, I was determined not to spend another night there. I felt like the longer I was in the hospital, the worse I got. Dr. Weiss wanted me to get a couple of cortisone shots in case I went into pre-term labor. I had never heard of that, but they say it helps the baby's lungs to develop in case of early delivery. I thought it was a little dramatic to be talking pre-term labor at that point, but the doctor said because I have an infection in my body that it could cause contractions. Sam and I discussed this and didn't feel entirely comfortable with it, but in the end decided to trust the doctor. They hooked me up to the fetal monitor again that evening to make sure she was still doing alright. I told them I was signing myself out of the hospital that evening and just like I expected, they really put up a fight. We promised to be back at 7:00 the next morning and finally were able to head home around 8:30.
It felt so good to be home. I was still in pain, so I took 2 pain pills before going to bed. I slept better than I had in a long time.
Wednesday morning we had to be back at the hospital by 7:00 (since we promised the nurse). Dr. Weiss came around at 7:30 and I told him I felt good and he said I could leave after they finished the paperwork. I talked to him about the cortisone shots and voiced my concerns. Some doctors seem to get very offended when you question their recommendations, however, I was pleased that he heard me out and in the end said it was my choice, but that he thought the pros outweighed the cons in this situation. (In the end we decided to go ahead with the second shot, so we went back last night for that.)
We're learning that when the Germans give you a time frame of when to expect something that we need to add on another hour or two. The paperwork was suppose to be finished around 8:30, but we didn't get called until much later. Even at that point we were called to Delivery to have the baby monitored again. Sam couldn't stay because he had a meeting at 10:00. I was a little concerned about the baby yesterday because she didn't move most of the day. I'm used to feeling her all day now and when I don't it concerns me. I was thankful to hear her little heart pounding away while hooked up to the fetal monitor even though she didn't move much. I think the medicine I took the night before must have knocked her out for the day.
That's been a difficult aspect of this hospital experience. Throughout the pregnancy I have tried my best not to take any medication because I didn't want to put anything in me that could harm the baby. Well, the last couple of days that has been thrown out the window. I'm on penicillin and had lots of pain medication there for a couple of days. It was so good to feel her start moving around last night. She's been a busy little girl all of today as well. It feels so good to feel her moving again.
So, as of today I'm still hurting in my lower belly and am afraid I'll have to go back to Urology. We have an appointment with Dr. Van de Castel tomorrow morning. I'll tell her what's still going on and get her opinion. She'll probably send me back to Urology. I just hope it's not as bad as last time. I'm really hoping to get feeling much better soon. Sam got everything emptied out of the nursery over the weekend, but I haven't been able to do anything yet. I have so much to do, but just don't feel healthy enough to attack it all yet. My main concern is the baby and I have to make sure I don't do something to jeopardize her health. We need her to stay put for another 12-13 weeks. Anyhow, that's about it for now. Hopefully tomorrow after our appointment I'll be feeling much better.
Thursday, February 05, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment