The movers were scheduled to be here between 10:00 and 11:00 yesterday morning, but they were delayed by a stau (traffic jam) on the autobahn. They didn't get here until 1:00 and there were only two of them. Being PCS season, the company was too busy to send more workers. I felt bad for them, but that's what they get paid for.
Other than the big items that were taken to the guest room or upstairs, most everything is stacked in the dining and living rooms. I had our inventory list from Hawaii and checked off the box numbers as they came in. I think we have everything, but some of the box numbers were different than what was listed.
I'm going through and trying to organize what is going to be put in the attic and where everything else will go. Thankfully, we have a larger house than we did in Hawaii, so space shouldn't be an issue.
When the movers left at 4:30, the first thing I did was get the computer unpacked and set up in the office. Rich and Stacy came over in the evening and got us connected to the wireless Internet. I LOVE having my computer back. It's so much better than having to make a special trip to Patch just to check email.
We had a pretty busy weekend. Saturday was our day off, so we went to the flea market in downtown Stuttgart. I love that place! There are so many interesting things to look at. This particular day there were also several fresh fruit/vegetable/flower markets set up. I think that would be the best place to buy our fruits and vegetables if it was just a little more convenient. We didn't buy anything big at the flea market, but I picked up a few things that I liked.
Saturday evening we went out to dinner with Rich and Stacy while Kelsey was at the last middle school dance of the year. We went to this "American" restaurant called Route 66. It wasn't too bad. Friday we noticed that the TV wasn't getting a signal again. We've had problems with it since the painters came and moved the satellite dish when we first moved in. So, after picking Kelsey up from the dance, Rich and Stacy came out to try and fix it. It didn't get fixed that night.
We knew the movers were coming on Monday so we put some things away in the attic then moved the bed up to the master bedroom. That was a headache and by the time we got it up there the back of the mattress was torn and the box spring had grass stains all over it from falling off the 3rd floor balcony. Oh well, it's done and those stains will always have a story behind them.
Most of the houses here in Germany have flowers in planter boxes either in the windows or hanging off the balconies. Well, we have planters for the balcony and we bought some flowers this weekend. I only bought enough flowers for two boxes, so I'll have to go get some more. I was surprised at how expensive flowers are here though. Here is a picture off the balcony so you can see one of the planter boxes.
This morning, after Rich couldn't get it to work the last two days, the TV just decided on its own to come back on. So this afternoon Rich and Kelsey came by to tune it in better and tighten it down. We shouldn't have anymore problems with that. I hope. Well, I have plenty to do besides this so I should probably get myself busy.

No comments:
Post a Comment