Pages

Friday, July 03, 2009

Baby accomplishments and company

I am so proud of our little girl. Various things that I've worried about since she was born have just worked themselves out. I was worried about how I was going to get her to sleep in her own bed, but when it felt right I swaddled her and put her in the co-sleeper and she just went to sleep. She has been regularly sleeping 5 hours straight at night. She wakes up for a feeding then goes back to sleep for another 3 hours. She fusses some, but eventually goes to sleep. It's just been working so great .

Another thing I've been fretting about is getting her to take naps. It seemed like every time I lay her down she wakes up and is not getting any real sleep through the day unless I'm holding her. The only place she sleeps at all is on the couch. As I've said before I want to get her taking naps in her crib so I can get some things done while she's asleep and I don't have to worry about her rolling off the couch.

Well, yesterday I knew I was going to be very busy. We had friends coming over in the evening and I needed to get the house cleaned up. So, when she started getting sleepy mid-morning I took her to the nursery, fed her, swaddled her and laid her in the crib. She slept for 3 1/2 hours in her crib! It's been really hot lately, so I put a fan in there, turned her lullabies on quietly and she really slept. I have the baby monitor so I can hear her if she starts crying. I just couldn't believe how easily she went down.

I attribute her sleeping on her own to being swaddled. I've become a real believer in swaddling. It almost seems cruel to me because she squirms and grunts trying to get her arms out, but once she goes to sleep it helps her stay asleep. If she's not swaddled she constantly wakes herself us with throwing her arms around. Mom kept telling me I should try swaddling her. Once again - Mom knows best. I should have tried it a long time ago, but felt bad about binding her.


My little burrito - all wrapped up

This morning again I put her to sleep in her crib and she's been sleeping now for 2 1/2 hours. I know she'll be waking up soon though because she was so tired that she wouldn't nurse before I laid her down. I love being able to put her in her crib and have just a little while to get other things done - like blogging :)

We finally have curtains up in our house. I won't say they are my favorite, but I'm really happy just to have the windows finished. It's been a pain getting them finished here in Germany. It's been hot so we've had the rolladens down to help keep the heat out, but once it cools off it's nice to be able to open the windows and have privacy from the neighbors.

I mentioned that we were having company over last night. Jerry and Heide are in Germany visiting their family and were able to spend an evening with us as well. It was really nice seeing them again. It's been at least 2 1/2 years since we last saw them. Sam's family has know them many years. I just met then when we were dating. They lived in Hawaii when we were there, but now live in Arizona. Anyhow, we really enjoyed having them over. They are the first of any of our friends from the states to meet Ellyanna. I'm sure they will rub it in to Sam's parents that they met their granddaughter first.

Here are a few pictures from last night-

Sam, Heide, Ellyanna and me

Sam, Heide, Jerry and Ellyanna

Heide had a Grandma's touch. She would hold Ellyanna and put her right to sleep.

Well, I hear a little girl squirming around in her crib, so I better go check on her. Until next time...

1 comment:

Eileen said...

Love your little burrito all wrapped up. So precious and adorable. Thanks for sharing.