Pages

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Ellyanna's 1st pediatrician appointment

Friday, 26 June
Well, I didn't get to Dr. Van de Castel's yesterday. She had an emergency so my appointment has been changed to Monday. I did, however, go to my appointment with Dr. Schafer. Thankfully, both kidneys look great. Since we have to wait until I'm finished breast feeding Ellyanna before he can do the more in depth test he wants me to come back every 6 months for ultrasounds. I really don't think there is anything to be concerned about, but just to be safe I probably will.

At the New Parent Support group on Wednesday some of us Moms (that still sounds funny to refer to myself as a "Mom") were talking about how much our babies weighed. I've been really curious about how much Ellyanna is weighing these days so we went over to the WIC office and used their scale. Our little girl, with clothes and diaper on, weighed a whopping 12lbs, 6ozs! We have a little chunky monkey on our hands!

Tuesday, 30 June
Several days have passed and I'm just getting back to this post. I was just reading back to what I wrote about how big Ellyanna's getting. This was made abundantly clear last night when I realized she's actually growing out of some of her 0-3 month clothes. For the first time I put a 3-6 month tee shirt on her. I think I'm going to have to move up a size for her sleepers too. It's a shame that her 0-3 month clothes were barely used. I'll hold on to them in case we have another little one in the future. She's only 7 weeks old, so I really didn't expect her to grow out of her clothes so fast. She's a healthy little girl though.

I fall more and more in love with her every day. She's so precious! She's really interacting with us when we talk to her now. When she wants to eat she starts sticking her tongue out. So, Sam was holding her the other evening and she was doing that and he stuck his tongue out at her. She studied him for a moment then broke into this adorable smile. I see why parents make fools of themselves to get a smile out of their child. It's so rewarding to see that sweet little smile.


Here are a few pictures from this past week -

So sweet...

Hanging out on our bed

Nothing better than sleeping in Mom and Dad's bed

The whole bed to herself :)

Reading the paper with Daddy

Wednesday, 1 July
Ok....did it again. I don't seem to make much headway on the blog during the day. Started on it again yesterday and got busy with something else. Oh well, maybe I'll get it posted tonight.

We took Ellyanna to her first pediatrician appointment today. Thankfully, she didn't have to get any shots. We do have to go back in just a couple of weeks for her first set of immunizations though. I don't really like the idea of having her immunized due to all the controversy surrounding the possibility of high rates of autism being linked to certain immunizations. However, since we live so close to the eastern block countries where immunizations are not common we feel it is more necessary to have Ellyanna immunized so she's protected wherever we may travel. We leave the outcome in God's hands and pray that there are no serious problems.

We really liked the doctor and it was so fun to see her being checked over. He did an ultrasound on her hips to ensure they're developing correctly. He checked her all over and declared her to be a very healthy baby. She now weighs 12 lbs, 15 ozs and is 22.4 inches long. Our little girl is growing and growing. It seems like every time I change her diaper I see another little fat roll. It's adorable though. On the growth chart she is just above the high range, but the doctor had no concerns. She's only having breast milk, so she's just a very healthy little girl.

We asked Dr. Becker how long we should watch for signs of Strep B in Ellyanna. When she was born we were told we should be careful until she was 3 months old, but Dr. Becker said the real concern is in the first 6 weeks. Since she is now 7 1/2 weeks old he said there was no reason to be concerned that she might contract it. I'm very thankful for that.

Here are a few pictures -

Ellyanna with Dr. Becker

Having her hips scanned

This has become a nightly ritual. Waiting for us while we get ready for bed.

Waiting patiently...


Still waiting...

1 comment:

becky said...

She sure is a cutie! Love looking at all the pictures and hearing about how things are going.