Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Ellyanna's first shots and other random updates

I just realized that yesterday was an anniversary of sorts. It has been 3 years since I started this blog. It's hard to believe it's been that long since I started what amounts to my online journal. It's been fun though and I've really enjoyed keeping my family and friends up to date with our lives. I think it's even more important now that we have a child. This is an easy way to keep everyone informed.

Friday we took Ellyanna for her first round of immunizations. I didn't want to do that to her, but know it's in her best interest. Something that I found interesting is that we had to buy her immunization shots at the Apotheke and take them with us to her doctor's appointment. We thought that was a little odd. Anyhow, she did really well with the two shots. I was prepared for alot of crying, but she was so brave. She cried just a little which broke my heart, but quit as soon as I picked her up again. She's such a great baby. Before we left for the doctor appointment I gave her some Tylenol. Later that evening we noticed she was fevered, so I gave her more Tylenol throughout the evening. She wasn't really fussy, just very hot. We have to go back for another round of shots in 4 weeks then another round 4 weeks after that. That will be it for shots until she's one year old.

Saturday we were invited to go to a pig roast out at the Army airfield. I wasn't sure if we were going to make it though because of how Ellyanna was feeling Friday evening. But Saturday morning she seemed much better and back to normal, so we decided to go. The weather was a little chilly and rainy, but we were going to be inside a hanger, so that didn't concern me too much. We really enjoyed ourselves and ate too much. Ellyanna had taken a 3 hour nap before we left and then she slept the entire time we were there. By the time we got home at about 7:00pm, we realized she was getting a fever again. She just wanted to sleep all that evening and she ended up fussing most of the night so we decided not to go to church this morning. We don't like to miss church, but sometimes it happens.

Last Monday we finally made it back to the gym. It felt so good to work out again. We'll see how long it works, but we just took Ellyanna in with us. They have a family cardio room, so she slept in her car seat in that section while I did cardio for an hour. Other days Sam and I will switch so I can go in the weight room too. Hopefully this works for some time. I'm sure at some point we'll have to figure something else out, but I was really happy that it worked so well.

Ellyanna has been desperately trying to find her thumb to suck on. I've been working just as hard at keeping it from her. I pop in the pacifier if I see her wanting to suck. My theory is that it's much easier to lose a binky than to break a child from sucking their thumb. I think I'm fighting a losing battle though. The other day I found her in the car seat with the thumb in her mouth. Even though I'm trying to keep it from her it is awful cute. She hasn't learned yet to fold her other fingers into a fist, so her hand is spread across her face with just the thumb in her mouth. This evening we went out for a walk and she was in her stroller. Along the way she managed to get her thumb in her mouth again and it put her right to sleep. Before she dropped off to sleep she had us laughing because every time we would go over cobblestones she would let out this giggle. I guess it tickled her stomach, but it was really cute.

I've so been enjoying Ellyanna these last couple of weeks. She's interacting so much and is full of smiles. Just last week she figured out how to squeal, so we've been having fun with that. I love it when she first sees me after taking a nap because she tries to focus and then you see it dawn on her who I am and she just gets so excited. She also loves standing. Even when she was just a couple of weeks old she would push her feet against our arm or lap to stand. So she thinks it's pretty great when we hold her up to stand.

Our sweet baby is losing some of her hair these days. Sam says it's looking like an Adolf Hitler cut;) She's lost some on the sides of her head, so she's a little bald above her ears. I was looking back at her newborn pictures and realized how much darker and thicker it was at that time. I know it's normal for babies to lose some hair so I'm not too concerned. It'll be fun when it gets a little longer though and I can actually do something with it.

I'm still planning to get tickets back to Alaska this fall. They are so expensive right now though, so I've been putting it off. We're still waiting on Ellyanna's passport anyhow. We want to get back into travelling, but again we have to wait to have her passport in hand before we leave Germany. There are still so many places for us to see in Europe.

Well, I think that's about it on this end. Here are some pictures from the last couple of weeks.


Sleeping on the couch. I just love this jumper (Thanks Kristy!)


Gabby loves sleeping in Ellyanna's bassinet. Poor baby doesn't like it when I tell her to get out.


Wesley came over one day and Ellyanna was really talking to her. So Cute!


Spending time with Daddy at the computer


My baby's getting so big!!


Waiting for us to come to bed one night proved to be too much. I guess we took too long.


She couldn't stay awake any longer


This was the first time I bathed her in the big tub. She wasn't sure what to think of all that water around her.


Still trying to figure it out


Out of the tub and all wrapped up


Our silly girl! (Look at those rolls on her arms :)


How else do you get the baby and the clothes basket up the stairs??

This was on the way to the doctor's office to get her first immunization shots. She finally managed to get that thumb in her mouth. She's really been working at it and Mama's been working at keeping it out.

Enjoying her new play mat....so much to look at!

Both of our babies :)

Sucking on her finger when she couldn't get the thumb in.

Sitting with Mama after eating last night

I've never posted a video before so this may not work, but thought I would see. This was just this evening when we got back from our walk. Ellyanna was really working at sucking on her finger.

2 comments:

becky said...

awe, love the video. worked great!!! Does this mean more videos to come?

Cheryl said...

Very nice! It was so cute to hear her baby noises and your comments. Thanks for your lovely birth announcement -- it was beautiful. Looking forward to seeing you!