Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

Ellyanna's first illness

Our sweet baby is sick :( She has an ear infection. I think it's been coming on for awhile. About a week ago after her bath I noticed lots of earwax in her ear. Then again a few days ago it happened again. Along with the earwax I noticed a bad smell around her ears. It was giving me a complex because I thought maybe I wasn't cleaning her as well as she needed. There are so many creases on her little body that sometimes I get her out of the bath and realize she's still dirty behind her knees, toes, fingers, neck, ears, etc...

I think it was Friday evening when Sam came home he took Ellyanna from me and she just started screaming. It took both of us back because we'd never heard her scream like that. For some reason every time Sam took her she would scream and cry until she was choking herself. That night it took a long time to get her to sleep and she woke up through the night crying a lot. Then Saturday morning we noticed that every time we touched her right ear she would start crying. We started wondering if it could be an infection, but she was still so pleasant as long as that ear wasn't touched.

Saturday evening we went to a friend's birthday party. She was so great all evening, but still didn't seem to feel as good as usual. We got home really late that night and it was almost 1:00am before we got to sleep. Again she was up through the night crying. We didn't make it to church Sunday morning because by the time I got us back to sleep we ended up sleeping late. Still when she got up she was very pleasant and happy as long as we didn't touch her ear.

That afternoon, she seemed fine so we drove to Barenhohle (Bear's Cave), which is just an hour from here. We had a nice afternoon there and Ellyanna seemed fine, but that evening she cried alot again and was up through the night. Needless to say I didn't drag her to the gym with us this morning, but we took her to the doctor's mid-morning. Thankfully, they have walk-in hours on Monday because we didn't have an appointment. Once again, we were very glad to have private insurance over here because there were probably 20 people ahead of us, but we were called in ahead of them all. After being over here I am even more opposed to socialized medicine. The German's we've talked too don't seem to like it and from our experience they take a backseat to someone who has private insurance.

It didn't take Dr. Becker but a minute to see she had an ear infection. She really cried when he had to look in her ear. I hate hearing her cry. It just breaks my heart. He said she definitely has an ear infection and needs to be on antibiotics. I'm sure this is just the first of many illnesses Ellyanna will have, but it's so sad to see our baby sick. She such a little trooper though. She's still been so pleasant through it all. Maybe wanting to be held a little more than usual, but just so sweet. So now she's had her medicine and she's taking her nap. I hope she starts feeling better soon.

While we were at the Apotheke getting her medicine Sam asked if they had anything for her dry skin. She has had dry skin from birth and I've tried everything I could think of. I've tried baby oil, cocoa butter, coconut oil, Aveno baby lotion, Vaseline, oil in her bath water, lotion from the doctor, even the belly butter I used while pregnant...nothing seems to really help. The pharmacist recommended a different type of oil that's used alot over here, so I'll try that now and hope it helps.

Last blog I think I mentioned that Ellyanna had found her thumb. Well, that has now switched to her two fingers. I'm happy about this for a couple of reasons. One is she's determined to suck either her thumb or fingers and I think the fingers would do less damage to her teeth in the long run. The other reason is sentimental - I used to suck my two fingers, so I guess I think it's cute that she does now. Every so often she still gets her thumb in there, but more and more she's sucking on her two fingers. She's so cute!

She found those two fingers!

It just dawned on me that we didn't get her weighed when we were at the doctor's office again. I'm so curious to know how much she weighs now. When she's sleeping especially it feels like I'm picking up a little brick - all that dead weight. All of her little rolls are so cute though.

On our way out to the cave yesterday it was again made abundantly clear to us that we are, in fact, living in Europe. It was a beautiful day. Sun was shining so bright and it was just the perfect temperature. We were driving along and had just passed the Neckar River and off to the side of the road in a field were hundreds of people. We glanced at them casually, then quickly did a double take. We were both a little shocked when we realized that most of them were completely naked. Yes, alongside the road there were hundreds of people sunbathing naked. Unbelievable! In case you're wondering...I did NOT get a picture to put on the blog, even though Sam did suggest it :)

Last week (Thursday) I left our house in the morning to run out to the commissary. When I left I noticed the road crews were starting to work on the road that runs directly in front of our house. They are going to be repaving it. When I was coming home around 11:00, the road was completely closed off. I didn't know what to do. I had a trunk full of groceries and Ellyanna. I didn't know how to get it all to the house, so I called Sam. I love having a husband that I can depend on :) I picked him up at Kelley Barracks and he came home over his lunch to help me get everything in from the car. We had to park down the street and couldn't get near the house.

So, at this point we're still having to park down the street. It's a bit of a pain with having Ellyanna and all her paraphernalia to carry to and from the car every time. We're hoping they do it section by section and pave as they go. Otherwise we will have no access to our drive until the end of September perhaps.

Well, that's about all that's happening here. Here are some recent pictures -

Ellyanna is very interested in the TV. She really stares at it.



Watching the news with Daddy.


Sam and Ellyanna at the entrance to the cave

Human remains that were found in the cave.

Inside one of the caverns

Water droplets on the ceiling of the cave

A bear skeleton found in the cave

Sam and Ellyanna in front of the kids section called Dream Land

Ellyanna enjoying the ride in her stroller
Spending time with Daddy

I propped her on the couch with me while folding laundry

I guess it bored her to sleep

Sam and Ellyanna at the end of our driveway

Looking down our street

Walking back to our house

No comments: