Pages

Monday, April 06, 2009

Less than 5 weeks left...

Time is flying by and I just realized it's been awhile since I posted an update. Not much has changed here in the last couple of weeks. We're still staying very busy with doctor appointments and other baby related classes. It's only going to get busier in the next few weeks. It's only about 4 1/2 weeks before Mom will be here and the baby will be due. I haven't really comprehended the fact that we'll have a little baby here at that time. There are some things in life that are just so big that you can't really wrap your brain around it until it happens.

Last Thursday I had an appointment with a diabetes specialist. Even though she said it wasn't something to be concerned about, Dr. Van de Castel wanted me to be checked by a specialist since one of the blood tests was elevated during my glucose test several weeks ago. I was not too concerned about it because I've never had sugar problems, but it's good to get it checked out anyhow. Besides, diabetes does run in Dad's family, so I should keep an eye on it.

Sam went with me to see Dr. Schmulling, which ended up being very interesting. The doctor reminded us both of the doctor in Back to the Future. He had this wild white hair and just the way he talked was hilarious. He would ask me a question then talk to himself in German while typing away on the computer. I went in not thinking much about the appointment, so I was a little surprised to came out with a diet I have to follow for the next week and a blood glucose tester that he wants me to use to check my blood before and after each meal.

I didn't quite know what to think of him. As he was typing out this diet he would say "No Sugar!" (then start typing that), "No white bread!" (typed that), "5 handfuls of fruit - let me see your hands....yes, 5 handfuls of fruit" (typed that). Between each item he would turn and stare at me for 30 seconds straight until he got the next thought, then he'd throw his hand in the air and say something like "Fish! Lots of fish!" It's hard to explain how wacky the experience was, but Sam and I were trying not to laugh. We were looking at each other thinking "Is this guy for real??". It was so funny. I think we both wondered if we were on Candid Camera. It would have been a perfect Saturday Night Live skit. Before we left the office they took my blood to check my thyroid, cholesterol and a number of other things, so at least I'll get a good blood workup through this.

I don't think there is anything for me to be concerned about, but I've been writing down what I eat and taking my blood throughout the day. I'm very thankful I don't have to do this all the time. I just have to continue it until I go back to see him on Thursday. It's another example of how we take our health for granted. I never think about my blood glucose level and realize now how hard it would be if I really did have a problem.

Last week we got the rug rolled out in the nursery. We like it. It's not as thick as we would have chosen, but it's all we could find here and I think it'll be fine. I'm still frantically ordering things that I think we'll need for the baby (and some that we don't need, but want :). We're down to less than 5 weeks and it's a little daunting to think about bringing a new baby home and wondering if we'll need anything else.

My belly is in the stage now where it feels hard almost constantly. I guess she's getting big enough to take up most of the space, so she's pressing against the sides now. It's been fun interacting with her lately. I'll feel a round bulge on the left side of my belly, so I push on it and feel her pull back whatever body part that happened to be. Last night as I was laying in bed I'd feel a really hard area in my belly. Knowing it was either a foot, elbow, bottom or some other baby part, I'd push on it and feel her start moving. I think feeling a baby move inside of you is something that you really don't get used to. I haven't anyhow. It still thrills me and every time I feel her move I put a hand on my belly to try and feel it better. I try to share it with Sam as much as I can, but I don't think he can feel her as well. The best way we've found for him to feel her is when we're laying down and I hug him from behind with my belly against his back. At those times he gets the feel for how active she is because he can feel all her kicks on his back. It's just amazing to me that we have a little baby inside of me. It's comforting to know that we're far enough along now so there's not a real concern about early delivery... although, I would like for her to stay put until the due date.

I'm still adjusting to doing my normal activities with a basketball-size bump on the front of me. Several days ago I was putting together some closets on the top floor, which normally would have take just a couple of hours (if that). That day it took me 4 hours! Nothing is simple anymore. Most everything takes about twice as long. Even turning over in bed has taken on an entirely new meaning. I don't feel like my stomach is that huge, but it sure does make a difference in my ability to move quickly or smoothly.

Sam has been so busy at work. He's still covering his old job (SAS Director) and the one he was selected for last August (CYS Administrator). Lately he's had to work some very long days. I'll be happy when they get someone hired for his old position, so he can do just the one job. Summer is always a hard time for him to take any days off, but he planning to take some time when the baby is born. Since Mom will be here for 4 weeks, he's thinking about taking the first 2 weeks off and then when she leaves take another 2 weeks. I think that sounds like a good plan. I'm looking forward to seeing my husband with our baby. She'll be so tiny in his arms and he'll be such a great daddy. I am very blessed to have a husband who is such a wonderful provider and will be a very hands-on daddy.

This weekend we finally found a stroller. We've been searching for quite awhile. We decided to buy a European stroller because they seem like better quality and I really like the features they have. The only problem is that you can easily pay $1,000 + for it, but they are very nice. Thankfully we found one much cheaper than that and one that we're both very happy with. It has the bassinet for when she's an infant and then the seat for her toddler years. We debated on getting a truly neutral color in case the next child we have is a boy, but finally decided on this grey and pink model. I guess if we have a boy next he'll be too little to really care that he's in a pink stroller.

Last Sunday in church, one of the ladies asked me if someone was planning a baby shower for me. I told her that when Mom comes over in May, her and my friend Marika were planning to have one. It'll be after the baby is born because Mom's coming just a couple of days before the due date. Anyhow, the church ladies wanted to have a shower for me before the baby comes, so this week one of them called and set it up for April 24th. I thought that was so kind of them to want to put a shower on for me. My personality is not the type that enjoys being the center of attention at a party, but I guess this comes with the territory of having a baby and I am very appreciative of what they're doing. Yesterday, Christa (the one who's setting it up) gave me one of the invitations that she and her daughter made. I was so happy to get this for our little one's baby book. I thought they did a really nice job.


Yesterday afternoon we went to Jason and Marika's for a cookout. We had a nice time with them. Marika and I worked together at NAF and I really enjoy her friendship. Now that we don't work together and with the added issues I've had with the pregnancy, we haven't been able to see each other very often in the last few months. I'm so bad about keeping in touch with people and want to get better at it. Being friendly and outgoing does not come natural to me so even if I really like someone it's a struggle to make myself keep in touch with them.

Marika is such a sweetheart and when we left she gave us a playpen/bassinet that she had bought for the baby. It's going to be so nice to have that on the main floor so when the baby's little I can still have her sleeping close to me and not have to run up the stairs 50 times a day to check on her.

Well, that's what's going on here. Time goes by fast, so I need to get busy and make the most of the days remaining before our little girl arrives. Until next time...

1 comment:

Rhetta said...

Yes, the days are flying by. Your friend did a very nice job on the invitation. Looks like you are well cared for. Love you, Mom