Yesterday I had another appointment with Dr. Van de Castel. During the ultrasound she was concerned that the baby's amniotic fluid may be too low, so she scheduled me to go to the hospital that afternoon to be checked better. I think she's over cautious, but I guess it's better than ignoring things. Sam and I went to the hospital appointment and they monitored the baby for awhile. Everything looked good. Then the doctor did an ultrasound to measure the amniotic fluid. Again, everything looked good. The doctor said the levels were normal and she had no concerns.
We asked her how much the baby weighs at this point and from the measurements she's about 6 lbs 4 oz right now. It's just hard to believe she's that big already. When the doctor was doing the ultrasound I asked her to see what baby part keeps poking me on my left side. She said it's an elbow and her little bottom is what I keep feeling on the right side. I love getting ultrasounds. It's so nice to have that interaction with our baby.
While I was hooked up to the fetal monitor we were in one of the delivery rooms, which was interesting. We were probably in the smallest of the delivery rooms, so I hope to get one of the bigger rooms when it's actually time to deliver, but we were thinking about what it'll be like when the baby's born. Right next to the bed is a counter with a scale, tape measure, a changing pad with layers of blankets and a heating lamp over that. There's also a large sink that she'll probably get her first bath in. From what I understand, they won't take the baby away, but will hand her directly to me before she's bathed or anything. Later, they will help Sam give her the first bath and will do all the testing on her in the same room with us. I'm very happy about how it's done here in Germany - giving us that time right after birth to get to know her and meet this little bundle that's been kicking me for the last several months. I think that's really special and something I'll appreciate.
This morning we had a follow up appointment with the diabetes doctor. I just love him! He is so funny! He told me congratulations all my tests came back fine. He went through all of them and said different ones were higher than normal due to the pregnancy, so in his words - he's convinced that I'm pregnant (as if the belly wasn't confirmation enough). Since none of my glucose levels went above 120 during the week he cleared me of diabetes, but said I can still check my blood about 4 times a day. I usually would obey a doctor's orders, but I don't see a need to continue since I've had no problems with it this past week.
He said once the baby's born I need to come back in and have my blood checked again just to make sure all the levels are back to normal. He said "You bring the baby. We look at her and be happy." He also said that when the baby's born I should call him and tell him her weight and length - I guess to see if she's larger than usual in order to determine if I'm at risk for gestational diabetes in the future. Anyhow, we left there smiling. He's such a nice man and so pleasant to talk to.
I've had a lot of water retention lately. I didn't realize how it can make the joints hurt. I've been waking up through the night with the knuckles on my hands aching. I mentioned this to the doctor and she gave me the name of a tea to buy that helps as a diuretic. Hopefully that will start to help before long.
Next week we start the many birthing classes that we have on our calendar to attend. It's all getting so close! We're excited, but it still doesn't seem real that we're having a baby. I know...it's 4 weeks away I better get used to the idea, but it's hard to wrap my brain around such a change in our lives. I am feeling the need to get everything together here at the house and get my suitcase packed for the hospital...just in case.
Last night we got a call from Toom saying that the nursery curtains are ready to be picked up. Sam has to work this Saturday. CYS is having an Easter celebration that he has to help with, so we'll pick the curtains up when he's finished there. It'll be fun to get them in the nursery. Hopefully we were able to translate everything correctly and they fit the way they're supposed to. We want to look at the other material they have and see if there is anything that would work for the other rooms and get them ordered as well.
We've been having wonderful weather lately. Spring is beautiful here in Germany. There are so many Daffodils, crocuses and other spring flowers along side the roads. Today it is about 80 degrees in the sun. I love being able to open all the windows and get that fresh air in the house. Of course, it's not always fresh air. It's also the season for the farmers to start working their fields, so occasionally we have the smell of manure fertilizer permeate the air and have to close up all the windows.
Gabby is very insistent about going outside these days. Sam takes her out every evening when he gets home, but she's been working on me during the days as well. She sits at the patio door and sniffs through the slightly open window and looks so pitiful. It's hard to resist her, so she gets out some through the day too. She loves being outside. It's such a small thing, but makes her so happy.
Well, that's what's going on with us as of late. Today I'm working around the house washing baby clothes, crib sheets, blankets, etc., along with doing the regular cleaning. It's nice to have a day where I don't have to leave the house for some appointment. Again I am so thankful that I'm able to be at home getting ready to have our baby instead of feeling the need to continue working outside the home. I feel very blessed. Until next time....

1 comment:
How nice to have an update! Misty, I am missing your weekly photos. :)
Bless you!
Cheryl
Post a Comment