Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sam's parents stay in Germany

I'm long overdue in posting a blog about the time Sam's parent spent here. They were here for a month back in September/October and we really enjoyed having them around. It would have been nice to have some time off while they were here and I wish I would have felt better in general, but it just so happened they came at the time I was switching jobs and during the first trimester of this pregnancy. More often than not, at that point, I just didn't feel well. I'm really thankful they were understanding of my situation because most days I came home from work and went straight to bed. I don't believe I cooked one meal while they were here and I wasn't very good company even when I did feel well enough to be with everyone. I could beat myself up about it, but that's life and there's no way we could have known I would be dealing with all day morning sickness during their visit. I appreciate them and feel blessed to have such great in-laws.

Since Sam's mom is from Germany and they lived here for quite a few years when Sam was young they had plenty to do on their own. They did quite a bit of travelling to see friends and family. When they were in the Stuttgart area, Sam tried to get time off to be with them. One weekend they went to Garmisch. I absolutely love that area and wanted to go, but it was the weekend prior to my starting back at NAF and I couldn't be gone until Tuesday, besides I felt so bad that I probably would have spent the majority of the time in the hotel room anyhow. How much fun would that have been??

When they returned from Garmisch and we were looking at the pictures I commented on how beautiful the weather was. We've been there several times now and while beautiful, it's always very cloudy and you never see the full view of the mountains. This time it was perfectly clear and gorgeous. My sweet husband said he didn't want to rub it in so he hadn't mentioned how great the weather had been. Sam and I had a reservation to go there over Thanksgiving, but since I was just returning from Grandpa's funeral that day we decided to cancel for now and go down at some other time. It's probably my favorite place to visit in Germany and I never tire of going there.

Sam and his parents in Garmisch

Mom and Dad Thompson in front of the Edelweiss (Army Lodging)

Sam's parents with the beautiful view they saw out the window of their room

Ready for their bike trip

Sam

Mom and Dad Thompson walking through the gulch in Garmisch

Sam in the gulch

They did a few things around the Stuttgart area. I stayed home quite a bit of the time, but I did get out a few times.

Sam's parents at Burg Hohen Zollern in Tubingen

Walking through the castle

Sam's Mom celebrated her birthday while here. Higgins had already gone back to Virginia, but Sam and I took her out for dinner at Pfefferburg here in our town.

Sam's mom spent some time in Bad Kreutznach during her last week here. They lived there when Sam was young and two of her brothers still live in the area. One evening Sam and I drove up to meet them. It was the first time for me meeting her brothers. I was feeling really bad that day, so I was going to stay home. At the last minute, I called Sam as he was getting ready to pull out of the driveway and told him I wanted to come. I didn't feel well, but I'm glad I was able to meet some more of Sam's family.

At the restaurant with Sam's uncles, cousins, aunt and a friend of his Mom's

This is a somewhat abbreviated account of their visit, but much of their time here was a blur to me due to not feeling well. I didn't go many places with them. Hopefully the next time they come for a visit I'll be able to be a better hostess.

No comments: