It's been a busy time around here. In my last post I mentioned that my Grandpa Hosier was not doing well. He passed away on Tuesday, 18 November, at the age of 96. While I wasn't thrilled about a trip to the states just 3 weeks before we go to Alaska, it was important to me that I be there for the funeral. I left here on Thursday and got into Pittsburgh that evening. Mom and Dad had arrived the day before so they picked me up at the airport. It was so nice to see them again and be back in the states. Overall, I really enjoyed our week there. Knowing Grandpa had lived a good, long life and was ready to go made it so much easier, even though death is never a happy occasion.
After spending that night in Pittsburgh, the next morning we drove to McClure (about 4 hours away). David, Kristy and the kids came up from North Carolina so we all stayed at a cabin together. It was so nice to see them all again. I was shocked at how much Connor is changing. He's so much taller and his voice is getting deeper. He's 13 now and I kept wondering where my little nephew had gone. He's still a sweetheart though. Hadassah is really growing up and so cute. She's 3, all girl and loves anything pink. She was having a hayday when Mom and I were unpacking our suitcases. She loves clothes and tells you how cute a particular article of clothing is. Of course, she'll also tell you if she doesn't like it. She's a character.
After getting freshened up at the cabin, we went to the viewing. It was nice to see so many aunts, uncles and cousins again. We rarely get to see them and it's too bad we had to wait for an occasion such as this to get together. One of Dad's brothers, Uncle Eddie, I hadn't seen in probably 20+ years. The last time I saw the others was probably 3 years ago at Thanksgiving.
After Grandpa died they found a folder with funeral details he had put together. It was so like him to have written a final message for everyone to see after his death. In his hand was his Bible and a note (written by Grandpa) that said "As I am you will someday be. Where will you spend eternity?" He had a burden for his family and he was still encouraging us from the grave to make sure our hearts are right with God. Over the course of attending the viewing and funeral I realized even more what a wonderful Christian heritage I have and what a huge responsibility I have to pass that on to my own children. I'm ashamed to say I don't think I've taken it as seriously as I should have. I was very convicted realizing what a blessing it is to be given such a beautiful heritage and what a waste to not live up to that. Maybe especially with a child on the way it just impressed upon me how important it is for me to pass on that heritage to my child and I'm the only one who can do it. It's always been easy to rely on my Mom and Dad, but it's up to me and Sam to have a vibrant spiritual life and to teach our children about God and what really matters in life. What a responsibility we have to ensure our children are raised in a Christ-centered home.
Grandma seems to be dealing with his death alright. I know she's going to be lonely, but he was going downhill for quite awhile and from what we hear he really wasn't himself for the last several months. He didn't know her or others and she knew he would never come home again. Even so, I'm sure she could use your prayers.
When Kristy and David arrived at the cabin on Thursday, they found one mouse in a trap and caught another one that they turned loose outside. The next evening when we returned from the viewing we decide to heat up some leftovers. The microwave wasn't working, so we turned on the oven. A little while later we started smelling this horrible odor and finally realized it was coming from the oven. It was at that time we realized the two adult mice must have had a nest in the oven. Knowing that the awful smell was mice urine, feces and (dead) babies made it unbearable. I truly have not experienced a worse smell. Being pregnant, nasea is close by anyhow and that smell was more than I could handle. It literally was making me gag. It was HORRIBLE! Some of the others were continuing to eat. I have no idea how they kept anything down while sitting in that horrible smell. They turned the oven off and I stayed upstairs where it didn't smell quite so bad. David finally got in touch with the landlord who came over and checked the oven. Thinking she had cleaned everything out, she turned it back on as she left. Of course, the smell just permiated the cabin again. The second time was even worse. It was very late before we got to bed. I fell asleep with my nose buried in the covers.
Because of the jetlag I ended up waking at 4:00 every morning. I was so tired, but couldn't really sleep. Add to that us all needing to get showers and to the church by 9:30 for the funeral and it was pretty interesting. Did I mention it was a very small cabin...with one bathroom...and 5 adults and 2 children? We made it, but it was a little tight. The funeral was excellant. I think the pastors of their church did a wonderful job of mixing the sadness of losing Grandpa with the blessing of knowing that he's in Heaven. They did a great job of giving his life's story. At one point they played over the speakers a portion of his testimony. It was pretty touching to hear Grandpa's voice again.
Following the funeral and the graveside service, the ladies of the church had prepared a meal for everyone. We had a really nice time of visiting. Mom took my camera and got a few pictures during the meal. I did a terrible job of taking pictures this time, but here are a few from after the funeral -
Kristy brought things so we could have an abbreviated Thanksgiving dinner together. So, Saturday evening, after the funeral and going to Grandma's for awhile we had a nice dinner. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling well and ended up sleeping through it, but I enjoyed it later.
David and Kristy had to head home on Sunday. We went to church and over to Aunt Ruth's for dinner then got as far as Pittsburgh before stopping for the evening. After staying in that cabin, the hotel room felt like a real luxury. The cabin was fine, but it was nice to have a comfortable bed instead of a 3 inch mattress and a shower with some water pressure.
The next day we drove on to Corry where my Uncle George and Aunt Sandy live. We only had a day there, but we really enjoyed it. They live out in Amish country and it's just beautiful. I went to my first auction Monday evening. That was interesting. I can see how it would get addictive because you can get some great deals there.
We drove back to Pittsburgh on Tuesday since we were all scheduled to fly out on Wednesday. I thouroughly enjoyed shopping at Target and Kohls. That evening we ate at Applebee's. It was so nice to eat at an American restaurant. It's amazing what you take for granted. In Germany I forget what it's like to be able to read a menu in English. I really miss the states and being near my family. I've enjoyed Germany, but I could probably go home anytime now and be happy.
Well, I didn't plan on this being such a long post, but it turned out that way. I had a few pictures from the cabin, but I would need to get on the other computer to flip them, so I think I'll leave them out of this post. Mom will probably end up posting some of them on her blog. Did I mention I'm sick? Everyone at work is fighting a cold and I didn't escape it. Last night I barely slept and ended up staying home today feeling miserable. It doesn't help that I can't take anything with being pregnant. Oh well, better to get it now while I still have 2 weeks before going to Alaska.

2 comments:
Misty,
Good to see your blog. It was a nice week. My Uncle Charles just died yesterday and Aunt Bea fell and broke a bone so she is in the nursing home. I am sad for them. They always had a lot of money and nice home, etc. but now it is setting empty - without them. We sure don't take it with us. They never seemed to want to have anything to do with God, but at this time in life you see the rewards. Grandpa will have a lot of them. Grandpa lived a rich life. There is no doubt where he is.
Hope you find out what the baby is tomorrow. Can't wait to find out! Hope you are feeling better. Love you, Mom
Misty sorry to hear about your grandfather. He is in a much better place. I know sometimes words don't seem to do it. But want you to know I am praying for the family. Have a safe trip to Alaska. And Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment