We had a pretty rough trip home - it ended up being 18 hours of travel time before we got to Germany. I was so happy to see Gabby when we got here. I'll have to do a post about her escapades while we were gone which got her in lock-down at the veterinarian for a couple of days and ended up costing us about $600. I'll try to do the whole story in another post, but let me just say that I was very happy to see her. She looked a little skinny from not eating during her time at the vet and she seemed to be in shock at seeing us again, but she's getting back to her normal ornery self. She's been incredibly loving to us though - we'll see how long that lasts :)
Well, let me see if I can remember what we did that last week we were in Alaska. We didn't do too much the first week Sam was there because he ended up getting really sick. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday my poor husband was practically on the couch all day. Anyone who knows Sam knows that if he's laying around all day then he's really sick. He's usually on the go. It drives him crazy to lay around and not get anything done. I keep telling him he needs to learn how to relax.
Thursday we went to Fairbanks for a couple of days. Living in Germany, we have a hard time getting some of the things that we're used to, so we planned to buy some items to bring back with us. I love the town of Fairbanks and just enjoyed being there again, shopping at stores I'm familiar with and eating at American restaurants. We stayed at Ft. Wainwright's lodging that night so we didn't have to make the trip back to Delta.
Saturday we all drove down to Tok. It's about 100 miles east of Delta going toward the Canadian Border. I worked there at a hotel my first summer out of high school. It had been quite awhile since I'd been back and Sam had never been, so we had a nice drive there and back and ate lunch at Fast Eddy's.
We've had a hard time finding a home church here in Germany and it was just so wonderful to be back in some good services. We had a potluck after the morning service. It was a really nice time of fellowship. I so enjoy being back with people that I know and feel comfortable with. Here are a few pictures from last Sunday.
For awhile now, Sam and I have been interested in buying some land in Alaska and an opportunity presented itself while we were there. There was a 7.5 acre plot of land on the same road I grew up on selling for a really good price. So, on Monday we closed the deal on that. It's really a great piece of land with an acre already cleared. We're very excited about it and are in the process of making plans for what we want to do with it.
Art and Dad went moose hunting on Tuesday and Dad got his. In Alaska that's a very exciting event. Moose is a staple food and if you get one you know you'll have plenty for the year. Hopefully I don't have too many gentle readers that would be offended at these pictures. This is everyday life for us, but I know it may seem a little gross to others. Anyhow, here are a few pictures I took while the guys were hanging the moose quarters. Moose season is such a busy time that the butchers can't take it until the Oct 10, so it needed to be hung. It's cold enough outside at this time of year, so it'll keep with no problem.
Sam posing with one of the moose front quarters
Sam and Dad hanging a bag of meat
Sam
Tuesday evening, our last night in Delta, we went over to my cousin George and Gaylene's place. Sam wanted to shoot some guns, so we all tagged along and Gaylene made dinner. Her parents were there too and we had a really nice time. We wanted to be able to spend more time with everyone, but between being sick and having things we wanted to get done, we just didn't have time. We squeezed this visit in at the very last moment and I'm glad we did. Of course, the guys had to get some pictures with the guns.
Here are a couple of the many faces of George
Coming back to Germany was not a depressing thing, but I do really miss my family and my country. It was so nice to not be a foreigner for a few weeks. We so enjoyed our time there and I'm already starting to make plans for when they come over here next year. I'm getting back into the swing of things. We really do have a good life here. We have so many blessings. I'm thankful for the time we had with Mom and Dad and would love to be able to spend more time with them, but at this time in our lives it's just not possible.
Here are just a few random pictures from Alaska -

4 comments:
It was so good to see your Mom and Dad, sure do miss them too! Life sure has a way of doing it thing doesn't it? We so enjoyed spending the time with you guys when you lived in Cedar Springs. You kids would play with our girls and just have a great time. Well just wanted to let you knoe I so enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for sharing.
Mom and Dad miss those times too, Eileen. They always talked about the fun they had with you and Jim. It would have been nice to have grown up nearer.
They've talked about taking a trip up to Michigan, but with their parents getting older they feel the need to visit them and don't seem to have time for more than that on their trips out.
I wish I would have gotten to know Ruth and Becky better at Hobe Sound. I'm really quite shy and don't usually make a move to get to know people...much to my regret. Take care.
Hey Misty,
I love your pictures and hearing about your time home. You are right the one from the end of your mom and dads road is beautiful. Wow, 18 hours of traveling, must be tiring. Sounds like an interesting post to come about your cat. Looking forward to hearing about that (<:
I am like you about being shy(I saw the coment above) Untill I get to know someone I can be shy and hold back. It is hard for me to open up. Although I am not sure I would have been able to move to a foreign country like you. I am sure the Lord helps in that area. Anyway, enough rambling I just wanted to say hello and glad you all made it safly home, Enjoy reading your blog. Talk to you later.
Hi Becky,
Believe me...I wouldn't have gone to Germany on my own either. I always thought it sounded exciting, but would have never had the courage to head off to Europe on my own. Having a husband who speaks the language and whose Mom is from here made the move much easier.
It does get a little lonely though because I don't make friends easily and we haven't found a church family yet. Thank God for the internet and phone lines!! I keep trying to encourage my sister to come this way (her husband's in the military), but they probably won't.
I just look at it as a once in a lifetime experience and at some point we'll be back in the states with lots of wonderful memories. It would be nice to have family near though. Thanks for writing. It's nice to hear from you.
Post a Comment