Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2007

A new church and antiques shopping

We finally found that church we were looking for last week. It's amazing how easily we found it with the correct directions. We felt very welcomed and really enjoyed the service. The people were so warm and friendly. We'll certainly go back next week.

We had a very relaxing day and didn't really do much. Sam did work on the window screens in the afternoon. He put screens into 3 windows, which is really going to help get air flowing through the house. We've only been able to tilt them until now because Gabby will get out any chance she has.

Saturday morning Sam had to get up at 4:00 to see the rest of the Camp A staff off at the airport. I'm sure he's happy to not do that for awhile. We had such a nice day Saturday. We didn't do anything at the house, but got some shopping done that we've been needing to do and just enjoyed our day.

I've been wanting to find some second hand stores to look for nice older furniture. I'm on the hunt for a buffet/hutch for my dining room. I don't want to get a cheap one. I want to invest in some good hard wood furniture while we're here. We drove into Stuttgart to see about an antiques store that Sam heard about. Of course, wouldn't you know it, it was closed just for that day. We'll have to go back next weekend because it looked like they had some really nice pieces.

We drove out to another antiques shop that we passed by the other day. I love all the old furniture you can find here in Germany. There seems to be an abundance of well made older furniture. I did find a nice buffet, but it didn't have the hutch so we didn't get it. I'm still contemplating it for the other wall in the dining room though. I bought a couple of wine/schnapps bottles. I love the size and shape of these and they're really great for keeping our spare US and Euro change in.

We went to a few other stores and just browsed around. I really enjoy shopping in the German stores. They have different products than we do in the states and I find it interesting.

Saturday evening there was a flea market at the Patch gym. It was supposed to open at 5:00, but Sam wanted to get there early. I didn't think we should because I usually abide by the rules and didn't think it was right to beat everyone else to the good deals. Well, I'm glad I have a husband who likes to breaks a few rules because we got there at about 4:40 and people were already shopping. Sam's so good for me in that he helps break me out of my mold. He certainly keeps our life interesting and fun. I'm still learning to just go with it.

Anyhow, we picked up a few things. I found this old wooden sewing box which I really like and it's just right for what I need. And I think the fact that it's showing some age gives it character. Sam spotted some Christmas themed Wilton cookie cutters for .50 cent. You can't go wrong there. And to top it off we bought an almost brand new Rival ice cream maker for $5. Ours broke some time ago and we hadn't replaced it yet, so that was a real find.

Earlier in the week we had planned to take a trip somewhere over the weekend, but it was nice to just stay home. Next weekend I think we're off to see the church in the rock in Idar-Oberstein or to Bad Kreuznach, where Sam lived when he was younger. Or maybe both. We'll see. Until then...

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Hi Misty, how things going? It looks like and sounds like things are going pretty good. I too, like the Antiques. Though I don't have much. We do have a dresser that was my husbands mother's it has a partial marble top on it. We have it sitting behind the couch, in between the living room and dinning room. I don't only use it basically for storage. For it isn't in real good condition. But it is a nice piece.
I pray things are going good for you. You have a blessed day. Love & Prayers, Eileen

Misty said...

Hi Eileen - It's so nice of you to leave comments. I always enjoy checking your and Becky's blogs, but am ashamed to say I don't take the time to leave a comment. You sure do have beautiful grandsons though. How nice that you were able to spend the summer with them. Mom really misses her grandkids. Kristy and David are at Ft. Bragg, NC.
Those pieces of furniture that get passed down are really the most special. I love looking, but haven't bought much. Along the way I think we'll find some nice pieces. They just know how to make good furniture in Europe. I love the hardwood that lasts for years instead of the chipboard that we've always bought because of the price.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. Have a wonderful day.