Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Bosch mixer....

Let me start by apologizing in advance to anyone who may own (and like) their Bosch mixer. I'm not in that group, but to each her own. Kristy, I think you might have a Bosch and I'm really curious as to how you like it. I just had the worst experience ever of making cookies. I should have taken a picture of the mess.

A group of college age kids come from the states each summer and work with the CYS children at the Army installations. They are called Camp Adventure and they really do a great job with the kids. Their time here is drawing to a close and many are flying out on Saturday. Sam is taking a group of them to the airport and thought it might be nice if I baked some cookies to send along on the trip. No problem! I've made many batches of cookies and planned to mix them up quickly today.

It didn't turn out to be that easy.

This is only the second time I've used the Bosch we bought last week and the first time mixing cookie dough with it. My first frustration was that it didn't want to mix the butter and sugar. The butter kept getting stuck in the beater and wouldn't budge. This happened over and over again. I lost track of how many times I cleared the butter out.

Then it didn't seem to really mix the ingredients, it just piled at the sides of the bowl and started climbing over the edge even though there was plenty of room left in the bowl. When it came time to add the flour it didn't want to mix with the butter and sugar so I turned the speed up a little higher and was sprayed by cookie dough. The mixer did come with a splatter lid, but it wasn't very user friendly so I didn't want to use it. I finally had to, however, because it wasn't mixing the flour in at a lower speed and if I turned it up it flew out of the bowl. Finally I added the whole amount of flour, put the splatter lid on and turn it up high. Although it kept climbing out of the bowl (around the splatter lid) it finally mixed together, but the mixer was covered in cookie dough.

I did manage to get a batch of Snickerdoodles and Chocolate Chip cookies mixed, but I've never had a bigger mess doing something so simple. I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of it and just buying a regular hand held mixer with two beaters. I think it would save a lot of aggravation in the long run.

I just had to share my messy morning with someone. Maybe I'll learn to like the Bosch, but at this point I really miss my Kitchen Aid.

No comments: