In my last entry we had finished the tile in one room. I never knew what back-breaking work tiling is. Every part of me ached for the longest time after finishing. My knees were blistered from being on them all day. Both rooms are now completed and look really great. I still have to finish decorating. I haven't put anything on the walls yet, because I wanted to think about what to put on the walls and not just fill the space.
On December 20th we left to spend Christmas with Sam's family in Hidden Valley, PA. We had a terrible flight out and through a series of unfortunate events ended up stuck in Chicago O'Hare for seven hours. We did meet some new friends through the whole process though. As it turned out we changed our flight and went to Columbus, OH where we rented a car with this other couple and drove to Pittsburgh (which was our original destination). Our luggage was lost in the process. Mine came in the next day, however, Sam didn't get his for three days. Poor guy.
These next pictures kind of tell the story.

Here's Sam, looking all relaxed.

Here I am. We were in a sitting area at the Honolulu Airport waiting for out flight to start boarding. We had no idea how long this trip would end up being.

Finally...28 hours later... we arrived at the hotel in Pittsburgh early Friday morning. Keep in mind we left Honolulu on Wednesday evening. We were so tired and still didn't have any luggage, but we were happy to have a bed to lie down in.

The next day we headed down to Fairmont, WV to spend some time with Grandma Thorne. We didn't have a lot of time there. We missed a big part of the day trying to track down our luggage. Realizing Sam wasn't going to get his luggage anytime soon, we stopped by Target for some clothes. By the way, we both loved Target. I wish we had one here in Hawaii.
It was nice seeing Grandma again. I've always loved going back to her house. She has the best arrangement of goodies on the table. Sam had her Hot Sausage for the first time. I think he liked it. He also got to experience Grandma's basement shower. He thought that was pretty cool. He wanted a picture of himself in the shower.
We ended up only being there the one evening and leaving the next afternoon. We would have spent more time with her, but the Thompson family was having a mini reunion that Sam really wanted to get to. It was nice finally meeting the aunt, uncles and cousins that I've heard about. We had a nice time at Mom and Dad Thompson's. It snowed just a little one day. Everyone else went skiing. I didn't though because Kristy and the kids were coming in from North Carolina. They drove up to see us, but it only ended up being just about 1 1/2 days. Connor's getting so tall and Hadassah is talking more. I really enjoyed seeing them again.
We all went to the Flight 93 Memorial in Shanksville, PA. It was touching to see the actual place where the plane went down and to see everything that people leave at the memorial.
Thursday evening we left Hidden Valley for Pittsburgh. We were leaving early Friday and wanted to spend the night close to the airport. Kristy and the kids stayed in the same hotel with us. Our rooms were right next to each other, so we ordered pizza and opened Christmas gifts. It would have been nice to have more time together, but we enjoyed what time we had.
The trip home was uneventful....thankfully.

No comments:
Post a Comment