Pages

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Gabby's visit to the vet


Ok, you have to indulge me a little while I talk about my baby. I don't usually, so you'll just have to deal with it this time or skip this post.

So, yesterday I took Gabby to the vet for her annual checkup. Jeanne, a co-worker of mine, suggested I take Gabby to Dr. Fujitani at the Mililani Town Vet Clinic. She takes her cats there and has been very happy with the care they've been given.

I'm so glad I took Jeanne's advice. Dr. Fujitani was so good with Gabby and didn't rush us through the visit to get on with the next appointment. She gave lots of good information without me even having to ask.

Gabby was certainly not her normal self though. She's usually the bully on the playground. If she sees another cat she start hissing and growling. She usually ends up hanging from the screen door trying to get to the neighbor cat. Anyhow, it was a totally different story today at the vet. She hid in the corner of her cage, burying her little head in the blanket. When I finally took her out of the cage she was trembling and pretty much clung to me the whole time. She kept trying to bury her face in my clothes. Poor baby :(

She did hiss at Dr. Fujitani a few times, but for the most part was much nicer than normal. I mentioned Gabby's dislike of other people/animals and how she loves to fight with me. Gabby generally has an attitude of arrogance. According to Dr. Fugitani, Gabby is a perfectly normal hand raised (bottle fed) cat. I guess she received so much attention from birth on up, she just believes that she is queen. She didn't get to socialize with others when she was little, so she really doesn't know how to act around others. She thinks the world revolves around her. I guess it kind of does in our house :)

She was so happy to get home. The trip to the vet didn't have any long term effects on her. As soon as we got in the door and I opened her cage she acted as if nothing had happened.

Here is a little photo montage of Gabby as a baby.

Here she is around 3 weeks old. She couldn't even walk yet. She was just propping her little self up.



Gabby - 6 weeks old. She was big enough at this point to follow me around the house. She ran after me every time I left a room.

Here she is learning to drink out of a bowl instead of a bottle. She was probably around 9 weeks old. It took her a little while to get the hang of it.




And, finally, this is Gabby now. She still sucks on her blanket.

No comments: