Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Pennsylvania visit (27 June - 8 July 2015)

Sam's parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary last August (2014), but none of the kids could come in at that time, so they all decided to meet at their place in Pennsylvania this last summer.  The last time we all were together was Christmas 2006, so it was high time we saw everyone again.  I never look forward to the trips stateside, but it's a necessary evil when we live so far away.  

In the Amsterdam airport. 

Our sweet girl, who is the best little traveler.  

We used air miles to get our tickets for this trip and with that comes being routed all over the place.  It was such a long trip.  We ended up spending a night in the Kansas City airport before taking the final flight to Pittsburgh in the morning.  Thankfully, we were able to find a place for Elly to lay down and get some much needed sleep.  The lights were really bright so we covered her face with Sam's hat.  
I couldn't tell you who this is, but Sam knew who he was.
All I know is he used to play football for the Steelers. 

In Pennsylvania, that first Sunday in church with Oma and Opa. 
 Elly and Lia had lots of fun together.

One day we all went out to Uncle Ron's to fish in his pond.  I had fun riding the 4-wheeler too.  I'm not always comfortable being around lots of people, but put me on a 4-wheeler and I feel at home ☺ I think this was Elly's first time really fishing.  She had fun, but once the interest wore off we girls went for a long ride through the fields.  











Sam's mom rented the house right next to theirs for us all to stay in.  It really was a great setup.  The kids could run back and forth between the houses.  It was nice not to be on top of everyone too.

One day we went to an amusement park in the area.  I don't remember the name, but I knew I felt "off" that day.  It wasn't until later that I realized I was sick.  I let it go several days, but eventually I thought Elly and I both had strep throat again, so Sam took us to the doctor.  We did.




A highlight of the trip was getting to see our best friends from Germany.  Kim and Chris moved back stateside about 1 1/2 years ago and when we figured out that we would be in PA they figured out a way to get there.  I was so thankful they were able to come.  It was so great to spend time with them again and get to meet their newest little girl.  Elly and their oldest, Sydney, were best of friends in Germany.  Really, more like sisters.  We decided not to tell the girls. I finally told Elly the day they were going to arrive, but Sydney still didn't know.  Elly was so excited waiting for them to get there.  Kim and I were texting all day, so I knew when they were almost there.  So exciting!!




The next day was the 50th anniversary party for Sam's parents.  I really wasn't feeling good during this time, so I don't remember lots of what was going on.  I do remember at the end of the party having a fever and needing to go home.  
Chris helped Sam man the grills.

Elly and Lia had a routine with hula hoops they performed.

Diane taught hula to some of the ladies.



The morning of July 4th we took all the kids to an amusement park nearby.  They had lots of fun and ran off some energy.  That evening we all went to an area in town higher up to watch fireworks. Through all of this I wasn't feeling well, but I was so glad to have Kim there.  It was so nice to reconnect.  Some friends you can go a long time in between seeing them, but it's just the same when you get back together.  They really are like family to us. 









Our house was the right.  Sam's parents on the left.







Another day Sam's cousin, Heather, had us all over to her house to grill out and play in the pool.


Like all vacations, this one had to come to an end eventually.  I was hard saying goodbye to Chris, Kim and the girls.  They want to get back to Germany, but it's taking much longer than we thought it would.  I would love to have them back there.  I was so glad for the time to reconnect, especially for Elly and Sydney to reconnect.  They are younger and can tend to forget.


They day they were leaving to head home we decided to drive down to Fairmont to see my Grandma, who has been in the nursing home for a few weeks.  Kristy and her family were coming in to be with Grandma on the same day, so we met up with them.  On top of that, Kim and Chris stopped in for a  little while to meet my sister and Grandma.  It was a real party there for awhile.  I think Grandma felt pretty special having all these people who came to see her.  I'm sure it made her day.  





Kristy's family and us went to Grandma's house for a little while before we had to head back to Pennsylvania.  The kids loved playing together and I loved seeing my sister again.  





Our last day in PA we went to the Flight 93 memorial in Shanksville, PA.  We went there in 2006 just a few years after the crash, but it's changed quite a bit.  It was very hot that day so we didn't stay a long time.  



We had such a nice time in Pennsylvania.  It was wonderful to be with family and friends.  That is something I really miss in living overseas.  I love our life in Germany, but I long to be nearer to home and people I love.  It really was wonderful in spite of Elly and I being sick.  

Sam was heading back to Germany while Elly and I were continuing on to Alaska for the next 2 months.  We all were flying out on the same day.  Elly and I left about an hour or so before Sam.  I don't like being away from him for such a long time, but I do love being able to be home and with my family.  This trip home was going to be a little different though because I had shoulder surgery already scheduled for the week after I got there.  Our time in Alaska will be next. 


No comments: