Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Alaska (19 July - 23 August)

Elly and I made our annual trip back to Alaska in late July. I love going home.  It's always so good to be back with family and friends who I've known since I was young. I feel most at peace when I'm there.  Sam is never too thrilled about it, but I usually go for several weeks to make it worthwhile.  With the 10 hour time difference and the money it takes for the tickets I feel it's a waste to only spend a couple of weeks there.  This year we went for 5 weeks and loved every minute of it. 

We had some nice warm days where Elly enjoyed playing in the water spinkler.  After living in town with neighbors on every side of us, it's a breath of fresh air to go home where it's so private. I can step outside and not see any other houses on any side. I love that!


When possible, I like to be home for the fair in town.  We got up early and headed downtown for breakfast. Elly was still so jet lagged and tired.  She is never cold, but this morning she was just freezing so I bundled her up in her carseat.  After breakfast we watched the parade go through town.  Then it was off to the fair.   There's really never much to see there, but it's still nice to walk around.  The kids had fun on a couple of rides. 

Two sweet little cousins just days apart.  We were getting ready to watch the parade. 
These two are so cute together!
Another cousin, who she adores! 

 
Some of them sat in the back of the truck to watch. 
 
 I LOVE this!  He is so cute!
 
 Trying to be patient while waiting for the parade to start.
 
 


Sunday morning before heading to church I snapped a couple of pictures.  I just love Elly's hair. It's so curly and getting so long.  I think this was the first time I put two little pony tails in with the other down.  Usually I had it in braids or one pony tail because it was just too wild down, but it's getting long enough that it has a little more control. 


After church we took a few pictures in the front yard.



This was the very first time I ever saw MYSELF in Elly.  She looks so much like Sam, but when I saw this picture I couldn't believe the resemblance to myself around that same age. 


Elly and her "Mom".

Another favorite past time of Elly's was riding the 4-wheeler. 

Petting Lizzie

Elly got a package from Grandma Thorne (her great grandma).



Elly and I spent a couple of days with my sister in Fairbanks.  I always wish I had more time to spend with them. I love being with my sister and Elly loves having cousins to play with. 
 
I think Hadassah liked having a younger girl to dress up.  Elly enjoyed it too....for awhile :)


Trying on her Tinkerbell outfit from Mom.


No words.... :)

Elly loves helping.  It was no different at Mom and Dad's.  She loved helping to feed the fish, sneak food to Sweetie and help Mom clean Lizzie's cage. 

It was so nice seeing good friends again! I had to get an updated picture of Elly with Uncle Bill, Aunt Cheryl and Michele for her photo album.

One big dark cloud over the visit home this year was the loss of my cousin's son.  He disappeared just a couple of weeks before we went home. Everything points to him falling in the Delta River.  The loss is unimaginable and my heart just breaks for them.  I never know what to say to someone in their circumstance.  Nothing can be said to make it better.  It's so hard to see those I love go through something so heartbreaking.  Not knowing what to say made it hard for me to want to go over and spend time with them even though I wanted too.  Elly and I did go over a couple of days before we had to leave.  Gaylene has goats, chickens and horses that Elly really loved being around.  The baby goats were especially cute.  I was glad I got a couple of pictures of Elly with them before my battery died.




I hate goodbyes.  They stink.  But I'm thankful that I have family that I love, who make saying those goodbyes so hard.  Mom and Dad waited at the airport with us until we had to go to our gate.  Kristy and the kids came over to say goodbye too.  I just wish we could all live closer to each other.  I love my family.  No one knows me like my own family.


 
Then we were on our way back to Germany...
 
  

No comments: