Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Change


Change is so hard for me. I suppose it is for everyone. I don't imagine anyone likes for their "norm" to get all messed up and have to settle into a new normal. Living overseas for 5 1/2 years now we've said our share of goodbyes. Most other Americans are only here for a 2-3 year tour, so we seem to see people come, establish friendships, then say goodbye and send them on their way. For that reason it's hard for me to want to reach out and become friends with people here. I do have a few friends, but in the back of my mind I know that they, too, will be leaving soon and it makes me want to just bury my head in the sand and act like it won't really happen. Anyhow, I know that comes with living in a military community, but it doesn't make the goodbyes any easier.
Today we said goodbye to our pastor. They are heading back to the states after being here for 3 years. It hurt more than I expected it to. I just felt broken. Another goodbye.  They came when Elly was just 4 months old and we've come to really love them as our pastors. He's brought so much good to the church here and it's a great loss for us. I'll miss the sermons. I'll miss the spiritual leadership. I'll miss the fatherly hugs.

The new pastor and wife are already here. We met them today. They seem really nice and I'm sure they will be wonderful pastors, but today I just miss what we had.  I don't want to have to get to know a new pastor who will, most likely, only be here for a few years.  It's just hard and I'm kind of having a pity party :(
On a more positive note, I have some serious catch up work to get done on this blog. I haven't posted anything since before we left for Alaska, so it's been 2-3 months and I wasn't even up to date at that point. I'm going to try to get caught up, which means there will be some old posts going up, but I really like to have it all in chronological order, so bear with me while I get it back up to date. Wish me luck...

1 comment:

becky said...

I always enjoy reading your blog. And I so agree, change is really hard. When things change for me it usually means I have to leave my "comfort zone."