Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Weekend trip to Garmisch

The middle of August we decided to take a weekend trip to Garmisch. We love that area of Germany and it is often our vacation destination of choice for a quick get away. Travelling any distance is still a little difficult with Elly. She's great for the first couple of hours, but after that she gets restless and frustrated with being in her car seat. Both directions of the trip resulted in a complete meltdown. At those times we just had to pull over and give her a break. Often she just wanted "up o' Mama", which is really sweet, but kind of hard to do on a long trip. Usually after a bit of a break she could deal with the rest of the drive.

One of our favorite spots to visit in Garmisch is "The Gorge". There is a path carved in the side of the hill that runs along side a rushing river. It's really beautiful. At times my heart would stop though when I realized how close we had to walk to the edge...with Elly. I held her very close to me.















At the end of the mountain-side path, it opened to this clearing where people were resting. It was amazing how calm the river (it looked more like a creek at this point, actually) was here before it entered the gorge. It was a totally different story once the water entered between those two mountains.

We rested a few minutes here before climbing stairs to the top of the mountain. I wish I had counted the steps up the hillside. It was quite a climb.




At the top we got a little lunch. Here Elly was waiting for Daddy to get back to the table with our food.






Looking back up the road we walked down. It was very steep.


Getting ready for our bike ride back to the hotel.




Elly and Daddy out on the balcony on our last morning there. Elly really liked the balcony.






Being such a good girl...staying out of the way while we cleared the room :)


The BEAUTIFUL view in Garmisch.

One evening another family told us about this rodelbahn that's right beside the old Olympic stadium. We never knew it was there, so before we left town we decided to see what it was about. I have to say it was a lot of fun! Elly didn't want to try it at first, but we finally got her on it for a ride and she loved it!






Behind us in the picture above is the track that pulls you to the top of the hill and from there you ride the luge-like sled down the track. Lots of fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah ... So nice. I love it there. I would love to go down that track. Elly has such wonderful experiences there. Love you all and nice to see a new blog. Mom

Cheryl said...

Very pretty! I remember our time there ~~ so special!! The ride looks fun! Thank you for sharing your lives with us. It looks like Elly is growing up so much! Love you all!