31 December 2009
Here we are at the eve of another year. It's just amazing when I think back to all that this year has held for us. This time last year I was pregnant and wondering what it would be like to have a baby of my own. Now Ellyanna is almost 8 months old and such a joy. She gets cuter and more fun every day.
We're spending a quiet evening at home. Early on we talked about having some people over tonight, but after having a houseful for Christmas I just wasn't up for it again. One thing's for sure, we don't have to go anywhere to have a nice fireworks display here in Germany. We've been hearing them go off in our town for the last 6 hours and it's just a little past 11:00pm. At midnight we'll go up to the balcony and see the show. Elly is sleeping for now, but I expect she will wake up as the fireworks increase. Oh joy!
7 January 2010
OK...so now it's a week later and I'm just getting back to this. Elly actually slept better than ever on New Year's Eve. As I've said before, her sleeping has been messed up since returning from the states and I'm up with her every two hours most nights. Occasionally she gives me a wonderful night's sleep when she goes 4-5 hours before waking up. You never know how blissful sleep can be until you can't get it.
This last week I've been trying to work her back into her crib for naps. It hasn't been going real good. She just does not want to sleep in there. She much prefers our bed...can you really blame her?? Anyhow, my hope is that once she's used to napping in her crib then I can start putting her in there at nights. I believe if she was in a separate room from me that she wouldn't wake up every two hours and need to be nursed back to sleep.
What a little joy she is though! She's so much fun! She claps her hands all the time now and loves to get into the trash, open the kitchen cupboards, tear leaves off the plants and dig in the dirt of a big potted plant we have. Just this last week she's actually taken an interest in food. She really likes mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and banana. She's finally gotten the hang of drinking from her sippy cup too and threw her first fit the other night when I put it away. You would have thought the world was coming to an end the way she screamed. I'm already wishing I had more wisdom when it comes to raising Ellyanna. Like the other night when she threw that fit. I definitely told her "no", but it's sometimes hard to know what the right thing to do is. But I keep coming back to the thought of having a 3 year old terror on my hands if I don't discipline when she's this little. I believe it starts at this early age. Right now she's learning what is and is not acceptable and it's up to me to teach her.
12 January 2010
Once again, I didn't get this posted last time I was working on it. If I don't use my time wisely when Elly's sleeping I just don't get the chance once she's up.
We've been getting so much snow here for the last week. I think we were up to 6.5 inches when Sam checked last night. It's really beautiful and the weather's been staying cold enough so that it doesn't just melt off. I really enjoy having snow outside. The German road crews need to step it up a bit though. All the primary roads are clear, but if you get off of them you could likely get stuck. Sam and I took a back road to Obi on Saturday and were lucky we didn't get stuck. It was a day we should have been in the truck, but we haven't figured out how to fit Elly's car seat in there yet.
A few nights ago it was snowing quite a bit, so Sam decided to shovel the sidewalk and driveway that evening so there would not be so much to do in the morning. Elly and I got our coats on and went out with him. Actually, I wore one of Sam's coats and put her inside of it next to me. She really enjoyed our little outing. She's such a happy little thing. She's almost always smiling and laughing about something. She's just a little doll! I love her so much!
21 January 2009
Ok, so now it's been three weeks since I started this. Bad....I know. I need to at least do a monthly update, but I really do aim for more. Things certainly are not as simple with a baby, but I wouldn't trade her for anything :)
Ellyanna's finally taking her naps in the crib. That's a relief, because it gives me hope that eventually maybe we can move her in there at night and she'll sleep for more than 2 hours at a time. She's still up to that trick. A couple of nights she went for 3 hours at a time, but last night it was back to 2. Then today she would not take her normal nap. She only did 3 half hour naps. She was rather fussy all day too, so I'm wondering if she's not teething again.
I feel like I got nothing done today. My goal was to get the house cleaned. Some friends are coming down from Heidelberg on Saturday, so that's my motivation :o) It really shouldn't take that long, but it's amazing how little I get done when I keep having to stop to tend to my little monkey.
Well, I could ramble on, but the few people who read this blog are probably more interested in pictures anyhow, so I'll just get those posted so I can actually get this finished today. Here are a few pictures from the past month.
Playing with the laundry I was trying to fold. She managed to get tangled in one of my shirts. Silly girl.

2 comments:
Very nice. Worth the wait. What a sweety! Mom
I can not imagine how busy your little one keeps you. I feel busy and I do not have a little one to care for. lol
Love the pictures, she looks like such a happy baby. But I also enjoy reading your blogs!!
Loved her Christmas jammies. And are those reindeer slippers, to cute. She really looks like she is going through the stuff in her stocking, how cute.
Post a Comment