Pages

Saturday, October 03, 2009

Visiting family in Alaska

I realize a blog update is long overdue. Ellyanna and I returned from our month long stay in Alaska a week ago Friday (September 25) and I'm just now getting a chance to post some pictures. Ellyanna's had a very difficult time with the jet lag on our return to Germany. There is a 10 hour time difference, but it didn't seem too bad going there. Since getting back though, she has been wanting to sleep all day and wake up around 2:00am wide awake. I'm trying to get her back into a better nap schedule to hopefully get her days and nights switched around.

It was so great being home again. Alaska is such a part of me and I always feel more relaxed when I'm there. I was able to experience summer, fall and winter in the span of the 4 weeks we were there. You gotta love Alaska!! Snow came a few weeks early this year, but it was beautiful.

Prior to leaving Germany, I was so optimistic that the trip would go well since when I made the reservations with Condor, the rep said I should have the entire Mother/Baby row to myself. I'm usually very particular about which seat I reserve, but this time I trusted what he said and ended up with the middle seat in the bulkhead row in the middle of the airplane. When we boarded in Frankfurt I realized I was squeezed in between two men. Then we sat on the tarmac for 2 hours waiting on luggage that hadn't been loaded yet. If given the opportunity, I think I would have gotten off the plane at the moment I was sitting there trying to nurse a fussy baby - all the while trying to keep myself decent and her feet from going over into their seats. It was really awful. I finally took her to the restroom to finish nursing her there. Later on, another seat was found for one of the men beside me so at least that put a seat in between me and the other gentleman, who, I must add, turned out to be a real angel. At one point he asked to hold her. I wouldn't normally hand my baby girl over to a stranger, but I figured he couldn't go anywhere with her and I was in desperate need of a reprieve (not to mention a bathroom break). All in all it was a long, miserable trip and I was so glad to touch down in Fairbanks.

We didn't do anything terribly exciting this trip, but it was just nice to be at home again. It was so different being there with a baby this time. That made going to Fairbanks a lot harder. It was hard on Elly to be in the carseat the 2 hours up, then in and out of stores, then 2 hours back. I wanted to spend more time with Kristy and the family since they live up there now, but it was just too difficult. Mom and I stayed at Kristy's a few nights, but Elly never slept as well or got her naps when we were there, so it was just easier to stay at Mom and Dad's.

I was so glad that my family had the opportunity to get to know Ellyanna. She won't remember this trip, but it was important to me for them to know her at this age. I miss being able to share her with family. I truly think I fall more in love with her each day. She's such a sweetheart and it just makes my day when she smiles at me. She changed so much in that month we were gone. I hated for Sam to miss out on that time with her, but was so glad for the time I spent with my family. Instead of rambling on and on I'll just post some pictures from our trip.

Mom, Kristy, Hadassah and Eli met us at the airport. Here we were just meeting each other's babies for the first time. I was pooped!

At Kristy's before heading to Mom and Dad's. Ellyanna and Eli getting to know each other.

This is a little Chihuahua puppy that Mom and Dad got while we were there. They are not "little dog" people, but took this one in just to babysit for awhile. As it turned out they will probably be keeping it. Other than Mom's fish, they don't have one animal that they originally picked out themselves. They end up aquiring other people's pets somehow.

She is so cute though!

At Rika's Roadhouse, letting the puppy run off some of her energy.

It wouldn't be a trip to Alaska without seeing some moose.

Sam and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary while Ellyanna and I were in Alaska. These are the beautiful roses that my sweet husband sent to me. He's a keeper :)

This was a beautiful scene.

Posting a "No Trespassing" sign on our land to appease my husband :)

A familiar sight in Delta. I love the view we have of the mountains!

Ellyanna and Elijah (they are only 6 days apart)

My beautiful little nephew.

The puppy still has a need to suck.

This puppy loved Connor's fingers. She couldn't get enough of them.



Ellyanna

Someone gave us a highchair for Ellyanna to use. It was great. We used it alot.

My little chunky monkey. We had to have her model her new swimsuit :)

Lucky was so great with Elly. She was very gentle with her and really wanted to be on the blankets, but knew she wasn't allowed to be so she stayed right on the edge.

Ellyanna chillin' in the rocking chair. She is one happy girl when she gets her clothes off.

Bath time! She looks a little uncertain in this picture, but she loves getting a bath. She soaks me pretty good with all the kicking she does.

Ellyanna and Papa. She is a mixture of Sam and Dad. At times she looks like both of them I think.

She played herself to sleep.

Mom and Ellyanna at the airport before we left on our return flight.

Papa and Ellyanna

Saying Goodbye is never easy

Papa had Ellyanna laughing



Getting ready to go through security. Elly doesn't like to be in the carrier, but it was necessary to have my hands free.


With each trip, it's getting harder and harder to leave my family behind and return to Germany. Germany is a beautiful country and has been a wonderful experience, but it's not my home and I miss my family tremendously. Especially now with having a child, I find it's harder to be overseas. We had a really nice time at home though. I'm already planning our next trip back next summer. Until then, web cam visits will have to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was nice to see your blog. You always do such a good job of summing it all up. We loved having you and Elly here. She was so much fun. It only gets better. Mom