When we were in Virginia, we thought if we had time we might drive over to see Kristy and the family - not knowing if it would work out or not. We weren't sure what Thanksgiving was going to be like since the funeral was just two days prior. We wanted to be there for Sam's family if there was going to be some sort of gathering, but Sam's Mom encouraged us to go on to Kristy's. The reason we went back to the States certainly wasn't for a vacation, but since we were in the area and there really wasn't anything we could do in Virginia to help out we were happy to be able to see my sister's family. It was unexpected, but so nice to be with my family for the holiday.
We drove down on Wednesday. It was so nice to see them and the kids again. I really miss having my family around. Connor and Hadassah are both getting so big. I can't believe that next year my little nephew will be a teen. He's getting so handsome and tall, but is still such a sweetheart and doesn't mind his aunt giving him hugs. He always enjoys being around Uncle Sam, who is just a big kid at heart and loves goofing off.
Hadassah is 2 1/2 now and cute as can be. She acted shy at first and kept hiding her face, but it didn't take long for her to get over that. I love how snuggly she is. She would crawl right up on my lap and snuggle down with her blanket. I know I'm biased, but I think she's a little doll.
Thanksgiving dinner was awesome. Kristy always makes great dinners and Thanksgiving was no exception. The food was delicious. It was fun cooking together. I really enjoyed being with my sister again. We were always close and I miss being around her. Kristy's neighbors came for dinner too since they were expecting their first baby any day (she was born last Sunday) and didn't want to wander too far from home. We all ate way too much, but had a nice day.Friday, Kristy and I went out to do some shopping while the guys kept the kids at home. In all honesty, we didn't go out as much for the shopping as we did just to go somewhere together without everyone trailing along. Anyhow, we enjoyed it in spite of all the crowds. I really enjoy shopping at the American stores. They are just different than German stores and I miss what we have in the States. There were a few things that I needed for holiday baking that I couldn't find in Germany, so I made sure to buy those to bring back with me. Later that day we met the guys and kids for lunch.
I wish we could have had more time to spend with Kristy and David, but we were so happy to have even just a couple of days with them. I am so starved for family interaction in Germany and even before here when we were in Hawaii. I don't make friends that quickly and even when I do it's not quite the same as having my family around. Some of the nicest times were in the evenings when we all sat around the living room talking for several hours. I'm really glad it worked out that we could spend a few days with them.
Me, Connor and Hadassah while we were playing Oceanopoly after Thanksgiving dinner
This is such a hoot! Kristy said anymore when she tells Hadassah to smile for a picture this is what she gets. Too funny!
Another shot of Hadassah's "smile"
She is all girl and loves anything pretty and pink
Connor's catching up to Uncle Sam
Me with Connor and Hadassah
My sister's beautiful family
When we return to the States, it's easy to think that we can visit everyone while we're there, but then I realize that there's quite a bit of travelling involved. We planned to go see my Grandma in West Virginia, but when we looked at the distance we realized we would be pushing it to make it there. We felt bad about not going, but it was just too far away this trip. It turned out good that we didn't go, because I ended up getting sick with a cold. I think I got the same thing Kristy and David had. Thankfully it didn't hang on for more than a couple of days.
We headed back to Virginia on Saturday morning. Sam's parents had rented a condo for a week, so we ended up staying there with them for the remainder of our visit. We really enjoyed spending time with them. The area of Virginia that Sam grew up in is beautiful and has so much history associated with it. We spent our days visiting different historical tourist attractions. As always, we wish we could have had more time with our families. We really did enjoy our visit with everyone, even though I wish the circumstances could have been different.
Walking through Colonial Williamsburg
Sam and Stephanie in lockdown
Sam and I at the Jamestown Settlement
Inside one of the early American Indian huts
Sam aboard one of the ships (Godspeed, Susan Constant or Discovery) that made the 1607 voyage that resulted in the founding of the first permanent English settlement in North America (Jamestown,VA)
Sam inside one of the Jamestown Settlement buildings
There really was so much more we could have done while we were in Virginia, but I enjoyed what we did see. I never realized how much history is in the Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown area. Lots to do and see there. Well, I could continue posting pictures, but I'm sure they're getting a little boring so I'll stop for now.
We flew back to Germany last Wednesday and arrived Thursday morning. The older I get the more I despise travelling. It's just exhausting. There is a 6 hour time difference between Germany and the East Coast and normally it doesn't affect us too much. This time, however, we still feel like we're adjusting back to our schedule a week later. Well, I'll close for now. I still have one more post to do before I feel like I'm caught up. Hopefully I'll get to that tomorrow. Until then...

1 comment:
Nice to see your blog again. We need to get down to that area to see the historical places. Looks interesting. I am glad you were able to be with Kristy for awhile. Thanks for the updated pictures of Connor and Hadassah. She is such a cutie and Connor is sure a good looking kid. (No! I am not prejudice!) I am sure he is taller than me now. Love you. Mom
Post a Comment