Pages

Friday, December 07, 2007

Busy getting ready for Christmas

One of the many differences here in Germany regarding renting or buying a house is that more often than not it won't come with a kitchen. I don't understand why, but Germans like to put in their own kitchens so when they move they take their old one with them (I guess or sell it). True to form the townhouse we're buying is kitchenless, so that's been something on our list of things to do.

Last Saturday we went kichen shopping to get the ball rolling. We've been to several stores, but found a place we're happy with and finally have an appointment this coming Saturday to sit down with the salesman. We'll take our houseplans and an idea of what we want and he'll then draw it up so we can see what it will look like. It's kind of fun being able to pick out our own kitchen. We've found some really neat ideas while perusing the kitchen stores. Such as a pull out pantry (love it!), drawers under the sink instead of a cabinet, drawers in place of cabinets on the bottom cupboards. I've seen that in the states too, but I see it more often over here.

I have a few things that are "musts" for my kitchen. I want a BIG sink - no more washing dishes in a tiny circular sink where I get water all over the counter. I want the biggest German oven I can find (which is still smaller than an American one). I have my kitchen wishes written down to take with me Saturday. Should be fun. It's a new experience, but it's kind of nice picking out what we want.

Sam at the front door of the townhouse we're buying

Saturday evening we bought our Christmas tree. Again, that was a different experience than it is back home. We went to a German garden center where they were selling trees, but unlike in the states where you can buy a Douglas Fir, Blue Spruce, Noble Fir, etc. they just had "Christmas trees". It didn't look like they came from a tree farm either, but cut from the forrest. So, we don't have the prettiest tree this year, but we have one. Another thing I noticed was that it didn't smell at all. Back home when we walk into the area where trees are sold the smell just fills your senses. I LOVE that smell and is actually one of the reasons I haven't given in to an artificial tree yet. I do hope my observations don't come accross as negative. It's just different than what I'm used. It's not that one way is necessarily better than another. Besides - when in Rome do as they do and I am.

Living room

The Kachelofen mantel

The house is mostly decorated. It always looks and smells so nice during the holidays. It's so peaceful with the Christmas music playing and candles glowing. Even Sam mentioned how relaxing it was the other night. I've been busy baking the last several days. Getting our store of goodies ready for the season. This is today's progression.


I went back to German class on Wednesday. I almost thought about not returning because I missed 5 classes, but I hated to just quit. I'm very far behind, but will probably continue going and will have to repeat this class. I'll just have a head start on it. Well, that's about it for now.

2 comments:

Rhetta said...

Looks pretty, Misty. Looks so cozy. You are ahead of me. I need to start baking. (I need to start taking pictures too! Ha.) Have a wonderful time and enjoy checking out the festivities of Germany. I heard they do some nice things. Love you, Mom

Eileen said...

Misty everything looks so nice. The cookies look so good. Thanks for sharing. Love & Prayers, Eileen