Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Busy, busy, busy...

I didn't realize it had been almost 2 weeks since I last posted. We've been really busy and have had lots going on and I guess I just neglected to share it all here. Since my last post winter has knocked on our door a couple of times. Any snow that fell melted off quickly, but at least it looked like winter for awhile. Just this morning it was snowing again, but it's all gone by now. I would rather have an Alaskan winter where once it snowed you knew it would stay until breakup. Here, it is a mixture of very wet snow and sleet, which makes it really messy and dirty looking. It actually seems colder too because of the dampness and wind.

I started my German classes last Monday. I'm glad to be taking them, but it's much more intense than I expected. Being advertised as "conversational German", I didn't expect to delve right into German grammar. I would love to, one day, be able to communicate in German, but right now that seems like a very distant possibility. But we'll see how it goes. Even with just two classes under my belt I've found myself deciphering signs better. I guess maybe learning a few key words and phrases tends to help. We didn't have class yesterday because of Veteran's Day, but we start up again tomorrow. I have some studying to do....

We had our first guest this last weekend. Our friend, Kris, from Schweinfurt was down here on business and ended up staying two nights with us. We really enjoyed her company. I don't know what possessed me to try a new recipe out on a guest, but I did. Kris gave us some rhubarb when we visited her over the summer. I froze it at the time and hadn't used it yet, so I decided to make a strawberry/rhubarb pie. It didn't turn out as pretty as it could have because , wouldn't you know, I just put the top crust on when I realized I forgot to put some butter on top of the strawberries and rhubarb. Thankfully, it tasted better than it looked.

Last Friday, we went to the MWF factory outlet, which is just 30-40 minutes away. I love that store! They have the most incredible cookware, silverware, etc. We've been wanting to get a new set of silverware since before we got married, but I never found what I was looking for in the states. We found a set (service for 12) that we both liked. I'm very happy with what we bought and I'm sure it'll last us for many years. I've been wanting to replace our cookware too, but that will be done a piece at a time considering the prices.

MWF has a really nice cafe in the store, so we had lunch while waiting for our VAT forms to be completed. For those of you who don't know what that is...I'll explain. 19% VAT (value added tax) is added to almost everything bought here. As Americans working for the government we are not required to pay that, since we do not benefit from it (medical, schooling, etc). We can buy VAT forms for a small fee on post and when we make a big purchase we use it to get a refund of the 19%. It ends up saving us quite a bit.

Friday evening we stopped in at our favorite antique store in the town of Schönaich. It's where we bought our treadle and we just love browsing through the rooms. I could spend hours there. I think of my sister every time I'm there because of her love of antiques. I saw this old cast iron mold last time we were there. I just loved it, but wasn't willing to pay the €40 she was asking. It just happened to still be there when we were in on Friday and I also found an old butter churner that I liked. My wonderful husband worked his magic and we came away with both of those items for €40. I was so happy!

We had rotten weather the whole time Kris was here, but we made the most of it and really enjoyed her visit. Saturday we were going to go by the furniture store at Robinson Barracks, but they were not open yet, so we stopped in at the post thrift store. We met the nicest elderly couple there. He's American and she's German. They've been married for many years and have run the thrift shop for 15 years. They were so interesting to talk to and had alot of antiques in the shop. We will definitely be going back there.

Another thing that has been taking a lot of our time is looking for a house to buy. From the time we arrived in Germany we planned to eventually buy a place of our own. We knew we would be here for awhile and thought it was only wise to put our monthly rent into a place that we could turn around and sell in the future. Sam's been looking from the beginning, but we've gotten serious about it since returning from Alaska. Sam's been talking to people to learn all he can about buying over here.

We played with the idea of buying the house we're in if our landlord was interested, but we haven't heard back from him and even at that decided it would need quite a bit of renovation since it's over 30 years old. Instead, we're leaning toward buying a place that's being built in a little village just about 10 miles from here. We wanted to get a single family house, but they are few and far between in our price range. So, we're strongly considering this row house or what would be called a townhouse back home. It isn't quite finished, so we can have input on the finishing touches. We haven't bought it yet, but we're leaning heavily in that direction. If we do buy it we'll be moving in January. More to follow on that subject I'm sure.

Here is the cast iron mold that I bought at the antique store.

The antique butter churner

I just thought this was cute. I had wood burning in the Kachelofen and Gabby was up in the chair feeling the warmth.

2 comments:

Rhetta said...

Misty, Nice to see your blog. I am so glad I can interact and see things as they happen in your life. I could eat the Rhubarb pie - looks good to me! The cast iron mold is nice and the silverware is attractive and strong, but I really like the butter churn. When you told me earlier about a butter churn, somehow I saw a tall wooden one in my mind. I must have seen something like that once. The one you got is so cute and it would really be easy for you (or your kids) to make the Thanksgiving butter from whipping cream. I will be there to tell your kids to make sure they put a little salt in the butter. Ha! Love you, Mom

Misty said...

Mom, you would definitely be the one to help with that project :) I do have another type of butter churner that is the tall wooden type. This one is actually about 100 years old according to the store owner and it seems a little decrepit. Not sure if it would hold up to churning butter anymore, but I do like it. I would love to share the pie with you - anytime you want to come :) Love you.