Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Keeping busy in Alaska

I am up early, so I'll see about updating this blog. I'm going to Fairbanks later this morning, but didn't sleep very well because of taking one of my Dad's decongestants. Last night I started feeling like I was getting a cold, so I took one of his pills. It was non-drowsy and kept me up all night. I should have known better I guess.

Tomorrow we will be picking Sam up at the airport. I really don't enjoy flying and don't like my family flying either, but we don't have much of a choice. It's a means to an end with no other way to get where we need to be. Of course I'll be happy to see my husband again. He'll probably think it's cold up here, but I love the Alaska weather. It rained for a few days, but the last couple have been really nice. We're hoping the rain stays away so we can have a bon fire this weekend.

This last week has gone by so fast. We play board or card games in the evenings. I grew up playing games, but Sam's not into them much, so I really enjoy it when I come home. On Monday, Mom and I made some of my Grandma's Green Tomato Relish. It is the best and so much easier than I thought it would be. I always watched Mom do canning, but never did it myself, so this was my first time. We're going to make another batch on Friday probably and may can some jelly while we're here too.

Mom's been going to aquacise for awhile now, so I went with her on Monday evening. We'll probably go again tonight. I used to do aquacise years ago, but it was nice to do it again. Because of my shoulder I haven't been able to really work out for awhile, so I think doing exercises in the water was easier because it didn't stress it too bad. I have to be careful on a few of the moves though.

Well, I haven't really taken too many pictures, but here are a few from this last week.

Tomatoes from the greenhouse

Washed and ready to chop up

Boiling the relish before canning it

The finished product

Mom and Dad's Rottweiler, Lucky, is always ready to play

This cat was a stray that came to Mom and Dad as a kitten about a year ago. Dad's allergic though, so it can't have free roam of the house and Mom would love for us to take it. I just don't know how Gabby would be with another cat. He is a sweetie though. And he's HUGE! You just can't tell from the picture.

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Looks like you all are keeping busy. Sarah just went down and surprised Ruth and the boys in Florida. Yesterday was Sarah's B-day and she wanted to do that, her roommate and her went down. Got there about 6:45 last night. It scared Ruth I was on the phone with her when Sarah docked at the door she was on her phone with Becky on her phone next to me. It was kind of neat we kind of road Sarah and Lori through the last couple of miles by way of maps on the computer. It was neat to be able to do that Sarah hadn't been to Ruth's new place so as I got her to the door I called Ruth then. She said just a minute someone is at the door. She is one that gets a little scary she couldn't see out the peek hole cause Sarah had covered it up. Oh I was glad that Sarah and Lori could do that it was a total surprise for Ruth. Well, you all enjoy the rest of your time together. Have a blessed day. My blog again is
www.gramgram-eileen.blogspot.com
Love & Prayers, Eileen

Misty said...

Hi Eileen - How fun to have suprised Ruth like that! I'm sure she was shocked. Mom and Dad did that to Kristy and I when we were living in West Virginia quite a few years ago. It felt like a dream to open the door and see them.
We're really enjoying our time here even though we both have come down with colds. It's just so nice to be back to what's familiar. I think it's a little slow paced here for Sam, but he's making the best of it :) Take care.
Misty