I just arrived in Alaska yesterday afternoon. Aside from missing Sam and Gabby, it's always so nice to come 'home'. My last week in Germany ended up being so busy that I didn't have time to post before leaving. We got tickets through Condor because they come pretty directly to Fairbanks (with a stop in Whitehorse) instead of flying to the east coast then coming all the way on up. No matter how you look at it though, it's a long, LONG trip. I ended up being awake for 30+ hours before dropping in bed early this morning at 1:30. Of course I could have gotten myself to bed earlier, but there's always so much to catch up on and talk about with Mom.
It's wonderful to be back in America, although I was pretty frustrated with the customs process at the Fairbanks Airport. Instead of clearing us and letting us go to get our baggage, we had to stay with the group after getting cleared to be escorted to another area to be cleared again. Finally about 45 minutes after arrival I was able to get my luggage. Dad and Art picked me up. Michele made a surprise appearance too which was really nice. Her family and us have been friends for a long time. I used to babysit her years ago and she's now in her second year of college at UAF. Can't believe how time has flown. That's when I start to feel old - when kids whose diapers I used to change are now adults themselves and in college. I don't feel old enough, but the years don't lie.
Art, Dad and I met up with Chad for lunch. It was amazing to me the things that caught my attention after being out of the states for 6 months. I noticed that the road signs are green. I never noticed them before, but in Europe they're yellow, so that stuck out to me. I forgot how many trucks there are in Alaska. In Germany I may have seen 10 in my time there. Here almost every other vehicle is a truck or big SUV. I love it. Someday I'll have another truck, but mine wouldn't have been very convenient in Germany. At the restaurant I noticed the different toilets in the bathroom, we got ice in our soda (and a straw), it was wonderful to read an English menu. I haven't ordered anything off an English menu since we've been in Germany. Also, being able to understand what people were saying around me was interesting. I've learned to kind of tune it out because I can't understand what's being said anyhow.
I had so much to say and talk about, but needed my Mom there to share my thoughts with. I finally just shut up about what I was noticing, because the guys didn't seem to care. All they were interested in talking about was moose hunting (Dad and Art have seen 25 moose in the last two days) and Chad was talking about gold mining. All of which is interesting, but I just had no one to share my excitement with.
We did some shopping in Fairbanks before heading to Delta. I never realized how friendly people are here. I used to hear tourists comment on the friendliness of Alaskans, but it was what I was used to. After being gone for so long (especially in Europe) I really appreciated how nice everyone is here. People in Germany really aren't very friendly. Even the Americans on base or in the PX keep to themselves. All through Walmart and Freddy's I noticed people smiling and being friendly, but NOT STARING at me. That's a nice change.
We didn't get home until around 7:30 last night. Art and Dad hunted some on the way home. We did see a cow and calf, but no bulls. It was so nice to get home and see my Mom. I had ambitions of going in with her this morning at 10:00, working out then coming back home, but since we got to bed so late I didn't. My days and nights are totally switched around and it'll take a couple of days to get caught up. I think we're going to go out to eat for dinner. We'll probably go to Pizza Bella. Can't wait to have some of their Greek pizza. Well, that's about it for now. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but will be sure to get some while I'm here.
Saturday, September 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Misty tell everyone hi for me. You probably are getting tired of me saying this even after all the years behind us I still say I sure miss seeing your mom & dad and spending time with them. I am going to have to pull up some pictures and send them to you. I remember on Halloween when I had made Sarah a indian dress and helped your mother make chad an indian out fit with all the fridge and all. Misty you have a good time at your Mom's and we will looking forward to seeing those pictures. Love Ya! Eileen
Post a Comment