We feel so blessed that we get to go back to Hawaii for extended vacations every couple of years. I didn't love living there, but I absolutely LOVE going back for visits. Of course it could have a lot to do with the accommodations and the fact that we have AC in our rental where we didn't in our house. Being right on the beach doesn't hurt either☺ The flights are always miserable, but it's part of life while living overseas. We spend at least 18 hours of actually flying time getting there. It is exhausting, but so nice to have that time back in Hawaii. This year we spend a whole month there. We were by ourselves the first two weeks then Sam's parents came for the last two weeks. I love it that Elly gets quality time with them when we're there.
Elly is such a great little traveler. This has been a way of life for her since she was 3 months old. This little girl has more air miles that many adults.
We arrived late at night, so the next morning Elly couldn't wait to run out the back door to see the ocean. I think she was planning to run all the way to the beach, but I called her back until we could go with her. It's so beautiful and peaceful.
The first of many days at the beach.
Walking back to our condo. This year we were renting the one all the way to the left.
Elly sorting through her beach treasures.
Off to the beach again.
We were in America for New Year's Eve this year!
The condo we were staying in this year was a newly renovated unit. We were desperate to get a rental so the owner agreed to let us in it earlier than he had planned. Because of that, we were missing a few things. The most inconvenient was a washer and dryer, so we did our laundry at the harbor landromat. Elly was posing for me while we waited on the laundry to finish.
Elly's picture of us in out the back door.
One day we stopped at a favorite sandwich shop on the North Shore and stopped in the harbor to eat. I really love going back to visit Hawaii. There is such a peaceful feeling there.
A day at Snails-n-Trails beach.
This day we went into Waikiki. We walked through Chinatown and fed some birds near the Aloha Tower Marketplace. Elly really enjoyed that.
She has such a rough life ☺
Downtown one evening at a koi pond.
I kept seeing the Japanese tourists with these Selfie Sticks. I thought they were a bit obnoxious, but found a cheap one at the flea market and had to try it out. I have to say, I loved it! We could finally get family pictures together when we were out and about. Here we were just checking it out before heading to the beach once again.
These evening we drove to Yokohama's beach on the west side. It's really beautiful there and we enjoyed watching the sunset and taking pictures. Still loving that Selfie Stick ☺
Elly loves it to as you can see below.
My most favorite drive (probably anywhere) is this drive along the Kalanianaole Highway.
It's so beautiful!
We stopped at the blowhole, enjoyed the view, took some pictures and watched some whales out in the ocean. Elly took advantage of the opportunity to take a few selfies ☺
At this same parking lot we decided to walk down over the edge to Halona Beach Cove, or Eternity Beach, where From Here to Eternity was filmed. In all the times we've been there we never had gone down to the beach. There was a crew filming a commercial or doing a photo shoot that day so it was a little busy.
Elly experienced her very first McDonald's happy meal while we were in Hawaii.
She liked it ☺
Further along on our island drive we stopped by Chinaman's Hat. Elly had been asking to go back here. We have the book and I think she finds it magical to actually see it in person. We explored the beach a bit and took some more pictures.
We stopped by one of our favorite private beaches. We usually have this one to ourselves.
~Another hard day in the life of Elly ~
We decided to go to the Paradise Cove luau this year. The last time we were there was when we were dating. That was probably about 12+ years ago. It was great since we could walk there from our condo. Elly really enjoyed it and was mesmerized by the dancers. Lots of fun!
By this time, Oma and Opa had finally showed up. They came about halfway through our time in Hawaii. I love Sam's parents and love that Elly gets quality time with them when we're there at the same time. Elly loves going to the beach and pool with Oma. She has so much fun.
This year we went out to Bellows Air Force Station quite a bit. They have a nice beach and showers there. I don't know why we never really went to that beach before, but we really enjoyed it this year.
This year we went out to Bellows Air Force Station quite a bit. They have a nice beach and showers there. I don't know why we never really went to that beach before, but we really enjoyed it this year.
This evening we went for a nice walk. Elly had just had her bath so her hair was still wet. Opa found a nice hibiscus that he gave to Oma, but somehow Elly ended up with it.
Here we are back at Bellows on another day.
Elly enjoyed doing her stretches with Oma every morning ☺
And...back to the beach....again.
Visiting with the turtles.
Elly practiced her spelling words in the sand.
We took some family pictures out back one evening before heading out for dinner.
We had several bouts of sickness while we were in Hawaii this year. I ended up getting strep throat twice and Sam had it once. One day Sam, Elly and Oma were going on for a ride on the train. I wasn't feeling very good, but hated to be stuck in the house when our time was coming to an end, so I got myself out of bed and went along. It was a nice ride.
The time finally came where we had to go back to Germany. We had some long layovers, so Sam and Elly tried to get comfy and get some rest. Well, I think Sam had the idea of napping, but Elly just wanted to play. She's such a great traveler. She makes the most of whatever situation she's in. It's always nice to get back home, but we love visiting Hawaii and always look forward to the next trip.

No comments:
Post a Comment