Ellyanna turned one year old last Sunday. I just can't believe a whole year has passed since she was born. It went way too fast. That same day was Mother's Day and I also turned 35. It was interesting sharing my birthday with my daughter. May 9th has always been "my" day, but this year it was more about my baby turning one....as it should have been.
Since everything was falling on Sunday this year, we decided to celebrate Elly's birthday the day before. We had some friends over and cooked burgers and wursts on the grill. We had 14 other people here in addition to us. For our place that was pushing it. Our house is not small, but having the space split between 4 floors makes space a little tight. Thankfully, the weather held out and we were able to sit outside to eat. We moved inside after that though because it was getting quite cloudy and cool.
Elly usually sleeps until 6:30-7:00 and goes back down for her nap by 10:00, which is why we had her party starting at 12:00. She would be rested and ready to party. Of course, it went nothing like that on Saturday. For whatever reason she never really went back to sleep after her 3:00am feeding, so we finally got up with her around 5:00. At that point I knew it wasn't going to be a good day for her. She was tired and went back to sleep at 6:30 and slept until 9:00.....all that to say she should have been going back down for a nap around 12:00....right when her party was starting. That didn't happen, so she was a very tired little girl. I wonder why that happens on important days?? Any other random day it would have been perfectly on schedule...but not that day.
I was going to have someone make Ellyanna's birthday cake, but we don't have alot of choices here. There are a couple of American's that advertise cake decorating, but I just wasn't impressed with what they had to offer. In the end I decided to make her cake. Not because I'm any good at decorating, but because I figured I could make something at least as good as what I'd seen and not have to pay $50 for it. I was happy with how it turned out in the end. I made a big cake for eating and a little one for Elly to have fun with...and she did :) Anyhow, here are a few pictures ~ (I'm a little frustrated that I didn't get pictures of all the guests. I got some of the first ones here, but got too busy later and didn't think to :( )
Ellyanna's birthday cakes
The cake/gift table
We set this pen up in the backyard (using a thin carpet to cover the grass).
It was great for keeping the babies contained.
Nicola, Marika, Sam and Nona
My sweet girl was so tired
Daddy and Mama with our little one year old
♫♪♫ Happy Birthday ♫♪♫
Elly was tired, but after we sang Happy Birthday to her she really got into the cake. She didn't eat much of it, but enjoyed smooshing it in her fingers.
She really enjoyed her cake Here is a short video of her with the cake ~
Time to open gifts
Elly's cake after she was done with it ☺
She received some really nice toys. She has plenty of clothes, but was lacking a little in toys so it was nice to get some more to keep her busy.
Playing with her farm
She loves the musical table from Grandma and Papa Hosier!
When people left I tried to put Elly down for her nap and that girl could not be still. She didn't have that much cake, but it sure did have an effect on her. I brought her downstairs and we all laid on the loveseat (both sides recline). She was being so silly. She really had me laughing because I'd never seen her like that. She was just rolling and could not sit still. She was like that for at least an hour...then she just crashed.
Since Elly was born she has never slept through the night. A couple of times she slept for 5 hours, but that happened maybe 3 times in this whole year. Most of the time she was up every 2-3 hours wanting to nurse. It's gotten to where she gets up about twice through the night, so recently I began weaning her from one of those feedings. It was so hard to hear her cry, but I knew it was necessary. I'm happy to say that from the night of her birthday until now she has been sleeping 7-8 hours during the night before waking me. That is a huge milestone and one I'm very happy to have made.
In the past week she has really taken off walking. I would say she now walks at least80% of the time. It seems like it happened fast once she got the hang of it. I absolutely LOVE watching her walk. It's just the cutest thing!
Here are a few pictures from the past week.
Trying to get Gabby who escaped behind the couch

1 comment:
Love seeing the pictures and hear all about your life. Elly's birthday cakes looked great. I have tried to decarate a cake and it just did not work, it takes time and patience. And patience I do not have. lol
Mom used to always decarate our birthday cakes when we were little. Now Ruth tries to do her boys. Anyways, I think you are going to have to do Elly's every year now. :-)
Post a Comment