Pages

Monday, March 16, 2009

Weekly update

Here we are at the beginning of another week. It's hard to believe we only have (less than) 8 weeks left before the baby is due. It seems very clear that the countdown has started. The weeks just click off so quickly and before we know it the baby will be here.

I've always heard that you can forget about a good night's sleep after the baby is born, but I just didn't realize that it starts long before the birth. I haven't been getting good sleep for a few months now between the backaches, crazy dreams and numerous trips to the bathroom. I think all of this contributes to how tired a new mom is. The sleepless nights don't just start at the birth of the baby. It's a compilation of the months prior as well.

We don't have that many weekends left, so Saturday we got an early start. We went to Hornbach first thing in the morning and ordered an area rug for the nursery. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have any padding to put under the rug. I'm going to see if I can order any from Home Depot. It would make it much softer if we could do that.

Another thing we were able to check off our list is a baby monitor. We needed to get one on the German economy, because we see a lot of AFN commercials warning that some American monitors run on the same frequency as German cell phone providers. If our monitor caused a loss of service we could be held liable. So, we figured it would be better to just get a German baby monitor. We found one at Media Markt. Everything is a bit more difficult here with the language barrier. Even though Sam speaks the language he doesn't read it as well, so that makes it interesting.

My friend, Carmen, and her family were down from Heidelberg on Saturday. Their girls had a wrestling meet here, so we spent a little time with them. Heidelberg is not that far away, but we seldom see each other.

We also went to a spring bazaar being held on Patch. They always have so many beautiful things - furniture, pottery, antiques, etc., but when it comes down to buying something I have a hard time paying the price. Especially, since the vendors seem to jack up the prices when selling to the Americans. They had lots of Polish pottery that I would have bought, but I could not pay the prices they wanted. We'll just drive to Poland again at some point to get some pieces I'm wanting.

Last evening we went to our German neighbor's house for another home owners "meeting". They have been so helpful with navigating the German system, (for which we're very thankful) but we're not really into having these monthly meetings. I think it's very normal here in Germany for all the owners of a townhouse complex to get together and discuss any problems. Anyhow, they wanted to discuss the repairs that we all had done recently so we met them for a little while at their place.

Being in their house I realize how much more I still have to do. Granted they are much older and settled, but their house was so together. It seems to me that many of the Germans are minimalists and just don't have extra "stuff" to find a place for. Being in Germany, I haven't known how or where to get things done. Even now, if we could go back a year I would do some things differently.

I'm still searching for curtains. That's been a thorn in my flesh from day one in Germany. I don't care for alot of the patterns/styles they have here and since we have the track system in our windows we can't just order them from the states. Even in the German stores we have to look for curtains that can be used specifically with the track system. Our neighbors paid a lot to have someone come in and finish all of their windows. That was probably a great idea, because once I find curtains I want I'll still need to have them hemmed since I don't have a sewing machine. I've been thinking about getting one. We have the treddles, but they need some repairs and are not in great working condition at this time.

I know we'll get it all together eventually, but I felt a little frustrated with our house last night after seeing how together the neighbor's are. It's alright though. I'm thankful we have a house and it'll be nice when we get it all finished. I really shouldn't compare myself to anyone else. It's always easy to see others as having it all together.

I had another appointment with Dr. Schafer (the urologist) this morning. Thankfully, the kidney hasn't gotten any worse. It's still somewhat enlarged, but as long as it stays the same I don't have to worry about having the stent replaced. I still feel so thankful to have that out and to be pain free.

And finally, no one else may be interested, but since I'm so far away I know my Mom will be interested in my weekly photo update. So, here you go, Mom :)

32 weeks, 1 day (15 March 2009)



That's it from here. Until next time...

No comments: