Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2008

First doctor's appointment

I didn't go to work on Tuesday.  I was feeling even more sick than usual and just couldn't get myself together.  I would bet it had something to do with the sauerkraut juice the doctor recommended I take.  More on that later.  I'm having a  hard time giving 100% at work right now.  I don't like to feel like I'm not doing my best, but it's just the way it is right now.  My hope is that I start feeling better in the next couple of weeks.

So, we had our first doctor's appointment on Monday.  The doctor I was scheduled to see is still out sick.  From what I understand, he's close to 70 and became sick while on vacation.  They're not sure if he's returning to practice or not.  I ended up seeing the other doctor in the office.  I liked her and will probably end up staying with her since she was comfortable for me. 

Obviously, since this is my first pregnancy, I've never been to a doctor in the states for that particular reason, but I have been for other "female" issues and I was surprised at how little was done at this appointment.  Basically, I had an ultra sound and they drew some blood.  No weight or blood pressure check.  I did get a pile of books and brochures - all in German.  I guess that won't help me much, but it was a nice gesture.  I'm scheduled to go back in two weeks though so perhaps more will be done at that point.  I was pleasantly surprised with the appointment.  It wasn't near as intimidating as I thought it would be. The doctor was very understanding about my modesty issues so that set me at ease. 

Sam came in and we were able to see our baby for the first time on the screen.  Even at this tiny stage I'm amazed that it has the shape of a baby.  I thought the picture the doctor printed out was really good - as ultra sound pictures go.  I am in the 10th week.  We were able to hear the heartbeat too.  What an awesome experience to see and hear our baby for the first time!  It makes it even clearer to me that there is a little life inside of me.  I don't understand how, after seeing an ultra sound of this baby even at just 10 weeks old, anyone could claim that it is not a viable life.   That it's just a blob and not deserving of  the basic right to life.

Anyhow, so we talked with the doctor for quite awhile and she answered some of my questions.   I mentioned that I've had quite a bit of heartburn lately.  That's when she suggested I drink some sauerkraut juice in the morning before eating.  She said it's really great for the digestion.  Did I mention that the German's are really into natural medicine?? I didn't think it sounded great, but since I do eat sauerkraut sometimes I thought it would be bearable.  Was I ever wrong!! 

Tuesday morning I got up and before taking my shower decided to dutifully drink my sauerkraut juice.  I got about 3 swallows down and decided that was all I could handle.  By the time I got out of the shower and was trying to eat a little cereal for breakfast I realized I might just lose it.  I think I was sitting with the trash can close by when Sam came home from taking his Dad to the airport.  He convinced me to call in sick and get back in bed.  Needless to say, the rest of the juice went down the drain.  It just may have ruined sauerkraut for me for the rest of my life. 

I have been so tired and can't seem to get enough sleep.  Almost everyday when I get off work I come home and lay down for a couple of hours.  Even with the extra sleep I can barely drag myself out of bed.  I really look forward to the weekends so I can sleep in.  I've felt like a terrible hostess with Sam's parents here.  I haven't been cooking or visiting much because I usually walk in and go upstairs to bed.  I think they understand, but it makes me feel bad that I'm not better company. 

Here is one of the ultrasound pictures from Monday.  It's  a picture I took of the ultrasound print, so the quality is not the best, but it should enlarge if you click on it.  I realize we may see more in it because it's our baby, but I thought it was a pretty good picture.  The baby is facing the front and the head is on the left.  You can kind of make out the little arms, belly and legs.  It was pretty cool to see it moving around so much.  I'm amazed at the detail already on a little being that is only about an inch long.  I'm really happy that they do ultrasounds at just about every appointment.  We should have no problem knowing if it's a boy or girl in another couple of months.

100_3912

Well, that's about it for now.  It's Saturday and I'm just taking it easy, but will have to get busy in a little bit. My poor house has been neglected lately with me not feeling so well.  Sam's working in the backyard.  Tomorrow we're driving to Bad Kreuznach after church to meet up with Sam's Mom and his uncles.  He hasn't seen his two uncles in many years and I haven't met them, so it should be nice. 

No comments: