September 4th marked the 4th anniversary of our marriage. It's hard to believe we've been married for four years already. Time does go by fast, although in some ways it seems like a lifetime ago that we were living so far apart. We either emailed or talked on the phone just about every day for those two years we "dated". I think those were important times because we really learned who each of us was during all those conversations. Even though we thought we knew each other well it was still a huge adjustment to go from the long distance to being in the same house after marriage. I think Sam made the adjustment with more grace than I did. He's a much more easy-going person. He sees life as an adventure and looks forward to the changes that life brings. I, on the other hand, look at life very seriously and worry about every change before, during and long after it's happened.
Getting married was no exception. It was very hard to leave my home and family. I didn't want to have to choose between my family and Sam. I wanted them both. I always saw myself staying in Alaska and being near my parents. I love spending time with my family. There is nowhere I feel more comfortable than at home with them. That is when I feel the most "me". I know who I am there.
Through all the ups and downs Sam and I are committed to each other and I can't think of anyone I would rather spend my life with. I'm so blessed with the husband God brought into my life. I'm so thankful for him. He keeps our life interesting to say the least and he is patient with me through all of my moods. I'm so proud to call him my husband and to share my life with him. He's the sweetest and most fun person I know. I really am blessed to be married to my best friend.
While overseas something we want to take advantage of is being in such close proximity to so many other countries. Sam's been wanting to go somewhere warm and near the ocean, so he's been busy planning a trip to southern Spain. We left Stuttgart very early Friday morning to drive to the Frankfurt-Hahn airport. Flying into Spain I was surprised to see miles upon miles of agricultural land. It seemed to be a bit past the growing season though because everything looked dry and brown. It could just be the time of year it is. Perhaps in January or February it's green and lush. It wasn't too hot, which I was happy about.
Sam had made lodging reservations at the Naval Base in Rota. Something interesting though is the base is owned and controlled by the Spanish Navy. The American Navy is just stationed there. So when we went to get the visitor pass for the car we were told we were not allowed on post. Well then...I was trying to think if we saw any hotels on our way in....nope, can't say I did. Rota seems pretty poor and run down and I wasn't looking forward to finding a place to stay there. Thankfully, it was finally determined that we would be allowed in just because Sam had an official leave slip signed. WHEW!!! That was a relief.
We were so happy to finally get checked in at the Navy Lodging. We found the Spanish people to be really warm and friendly.
Just about everyone we met was very helpful and friendly. Even the man who originally told us we were not allowed on post. He was very nice while banning us from entering :)
At the base of Spain and just across the Strait of Gibraltar is Tangier, Morocco. Sam really wanted to go into Africa and kill two birds with one stone. So, Saturday morning we drove a couple of hours south to Tarifa. Tarifa reminded us both of the North Shore in Hawaii. Just a nice surfer town. We took a ferry across to Tangier. We were really excited about our visit to Africa. Unfortunately,if I ever go back to Morocco it will be too soon. As soon as we walked off the ferry we were bombarded with people trying to get us to hire them to be our tour guide. They were absolutely relentless and would not take no for an answer. It was incredibly unnerving to me. We would just get rid of one when another one would approach and pester us. They followed us everywhere and would ignore us when we kept saying no. One of them was saying they would take us in their car to the city. My thought was "that sounds like something you hear on the news. Two Americans disappear in Morocco". I wasn't about to get into their car. I didn't trust anyone there. To make what felt like a long story short - we never left the harbor and within 45 minutes were back on the ferry heading back to Spain. I was very uncomfortable with how aggressive the people were. To make matters worse there was (I found out later) a two hour time different from Tarifa to Tangier and no one could seem to give us the correct time so we didn't know for sure when the next ferry was leaving. I really wanted to go into town to do some shopping. One Euro was equal to 11 Dirhams, so I was looking forward to it, but I never felt safe enough to leave the harbor. It was a shame to be there and not really see the city. Oh well, I would rather be safe.
Here's Sam as we were getting ready to board the ferry.
On the ferry - The land mass behind us is Africa.
Looking back at Tarifa, Spain
Heading toward the harbor of Morocco
I was so happy to get back to our car and be on our way back to Rota. I really don't enjoy being in foreign countries. Germany is still foreign and is not home to me, but at least here Sam speaks the language and it feels more safe.
Sunday we stayed close and just went to a local beach. We were there for a couple of hours and the sun was refusing to shine so we got up to leave. We walked a ways down the boardwalk and by the time we got back to the car the sun was out. So, we headed back to the beach for a little while and managed to get just a little bit of color.
Leaving the beach we saw this huge cactus plant.
We headed back to German Monday morning. Friend's of Sam's family live close to the Frankfurt-Hahn airport and they were gracious enough to let us park the car at their place over the weekend. They dropped us off and picked us up from the airport. We visited with them for a little while before heading back to Stuttgart. Sam had to work in the morning. I had taken the next day off and I'm so glad I did. I really enjoyed just having a day to hang around the house. I was able to get a few things done that I don't usually get to through the week.
Well, that's about it for now. Until next time...

4 comments:
Misty,
Glad to see your post. With all the problems with your trip to Morroco you gained the experience of what it is like there. Still seems like a nice 'Get-away'. Love you, Mom
Happy Anniversary! (sorry so late) Sound like a nice trip. I really enjoy reading your post. I always learn something. Hope you are having a good week. Becky
Oops I accidently posted my comment twice, so I took one off. I knew as soon as I hit the botton the second time that it was going to go twice, but you know once you put it out there you can't take it back.
Post a Comment