Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2008

This and that....

Another week has come and gone.  Seems like summer is coming to an end here in Germany.  I can't say that I'm sorry to see the hot weather give way to cooler days.  I am most comfortable on crisp fall or winter days.  I'm sure it stems from growing up in Alaska.  I feel most at home in cool weather.  It just gives me this snuggly feeling of wanting to be home with family. Cooler weather makes me think of the holidays too and I love that time of  year.  Anyhow, I'm sure we still have some warm days ahead, but it's been chilly at night and we actually turned the floor heat on in the living room the other day.  With tile throughout the house it was getting really cold at times. 

Sam's parents are coming for a visit around the middle of September. It's going to be nice having them here.  There is still so much that I need to do in this house, but it's a slow work in progress.  One thing that's really been baffling to me here in Germany is where to get curtains.  I know that must seem very odd, but a lot of our windows have no room for a curtain rod above, so I'll need to use a track system that they have here.  My problem was I couldn't seem to find curtains that were made to be used with the track.  Yesterday we were at Obi and Sam talked to one of the workers and, bless her heart, she explained the whole thing to us.  So now, I know how to do that, but Sam has to install all the tracks in the windows and I just need to pick out curtains. 

I'm not crazy about the color I painted the main floor (living room and dining room), so I'm looking at paint again.  I'm sure it won't get done before Mom and Higgins get here, but will as soon as I have time. 

Speaking of having time...I'm happy to say that as of Friday I accepted another position back in the NAF office (the job I left in June) although this time I'm going to be working part time as an HR Specialist.  I've very happy about this move.  While I'm glad to have the experience of working in the CPAC it's just too stressful for me right now.  Our office is responsible for bringing on the new employees for AFRICOM (the brand new Africa Command here in Stuttgart) and we're  on a timeline to get them to full operation by a certain date.  It's been requiring a lot of overtime and we don't really have much support from management.  Prior to this I never thought I would take a part time position, but at this point quality of life wins over the monetary advantage of working full time. I'll  be transferring to the new job on 29 September.

I should be working around 5 hours a day which is perfectly fine with me.  I love the idea of having 4 extra hours in the day.  Time to keep up with the house during the week and get some much needed projects done.  I probably won't be taking much time off while Sam's parents are here though because I will have just switched jobs once again, but I may get a couple of days off. 

Sam and I got a kick out of this.  Last week in church one of the ladies said that her daughter had a picture for us.  She said it reminded her of us (Sam and me).  Here it is....

100_3733

Isn't that the funniest thing?  Of all the pictures out there, this one made her think of us.  People have told us that we resemble each other.  I don't know if that's what made her think of us or that we're short and stubby.  Either way, we thought it was cute and we have the picture hanging on our fridge.

Well, that about it for now. Until next time...

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Misty,

It is so good to hear from you. I check your blog often and it always great to read something new about your life. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Hi honey,
I was on my way out the door but thought I would check your blog and was surprised to see a new entry. I love the picture of 'you and Sam'. I guess you are starting your new position later than I thought. End of September...Glad you got the curtains figured out. Mom