Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Still working on the house

The weeks go by so quickly. One week turns into two...then into three...and the time just slips by. I realized just a few days ago that in only 6 weeks Mom and Dad will be arriving here in Germany and I panicked. I thought back to 6 weeks ago and realized how little headway I've made in the house in that amount of time. At this point I'm not sure how I'm going to pull it all together, but I'm really excited about them coming. No matter where I am in getting the house around I'll stop and just enjoy them being here then hit it again when they leave.

This past Saturday Thomas arrived early in the morning to start painting the stairway. Picking out a color had been stressing me because that's a big decision, especially when it's going to be through all floors of the house. If we didn't like it, we'd be stuck with it until we decided to repaint. If we went with too conservative a color it may look really bland, but too dark of a color may be overwhelming. Of course with the whole house being white, any other color is going to look drastically different. We finally decided on an olive green thinking the earth tone would warm up the place and would go fine with our tile color (which I would not have chosen, but was already in the house). When we showed Thomas the color we had chosen, he thought it was too dark for the stairway. We went back to the color cards and came up with a green that's just a little lighter.

Ok, so I don't know how the German's ever get the same color of paint twice. Thomas brought in his paint tinting kit which amounted to a few bottles of color. In my experience with paint we pick out the color hand the card to the guy at Walmart, Lowes or Home Depot and they proceed to add so many CC's of green and so many CC's of yellow, etc. Not Thomas....he just started squirting color into the white paint and mixing it. The color that came out of that fiasco was something similar to auqa blue or as Sam put it "Toothpaste blue". It was horrible. There was no way he was going to paint my stairway that color. He painted a little part and wanted to know what I thought. Unfortunately I don't speak his language and couldn't tell him what I really thought, but I got the card and said "I want this color" pointing to the color we chose. Well, by this time he had run out of a color he needed so he packed up the paint and headed back to the office to get the color he needed.

He came back a couple of hours later with the color we wanted. He had taken it to a store to get the right combinations of colors(thankfully). Sam and I had some errands to run so we left Thomas here to paint. While we were gone I kept thinking about the green we chose and worried that it would be too green, but when we got back and saw the stairway I was very pleased with the color. It looks really warm and magnified in my mind the need to paint the rest of the walls. I probably shouldn't take the time to paint at this point, but I figure better now than after the curtains are hung. So, that's something I'll be working on.

The stairway after painting

Another view heading up to the top floor

Sam's been getting the tiles in the bathroom finished so he can hopefully get the medicine cabinets up over the weekend.

Back in March I interviewed for a position at Patch Barracks and haven't heard anything from them so I figured it had been filled. On Monday I got an email from Human Resources asking for preliminary information for this position. I'm still not sure what it all means, but it appears that I may still be in the running for the job. I'm hesitant starting a new job, but the pay would be much better and would probably not be such a stressful workplace, so we'll see what happens with that.

Well, that's about it from here. Until next time...

2 comments:

becky said...

Hey Misty, I like the color of the stairway. Looks nice. I am so glad that you are sharing this with us. I bet you are excited about your parents comming, how long are they going to be there? I am sure you will be real busy then. Enjoy (as if I need to tell you that). Thanks again for sharing. Becky

Eileen said...

Misty I really like your choice of color. Had you told me that was the color you were going to use I too would have thought(in my head)it will be to dark. But it looks great. I wish my parents were coming down here. That is exciting when you are looking for family to come. You have a great time with your Mom and Dad. By the way I am not up yet, using Becky's laptop. Don't know when I am going to be up. My bedroom is still not settled it has boxes up to the ceiling just about. Wish I could get them out of there. The Lord bless you, don't work to hard. Thanks for sharing.