We've been so incredibly busy these past couple of weeks. I've been packing boxes here at the house and any chance we had we were working at the new house to get things in order. Thankfully, Sam has gotten all of the lights installed except for the dining room light which I haven't decided on yet. I still haven't given the house it's first good cleaning. Several days I started, but then realized how pointless it was while we were continually working there which was just causing more dirt.
Now I'm down to the wire. I went over today and started on the floors. There's a fine white dust covering everything and I just discovered that the vacuum picks most of it up. So, I broom swept then vacuumed, now I need to mop it a couple of times. I know it won't be perfectly clean for awhile, but it's a start.
Saturday we have several of Sam's co-workers coming over to help move. I'm a little stressed about that because I still have packing to do. Tomorrow morning I'm heading to the house to finish cleaning, then I'll be back here to finish packing. I'm really thankful that they are coming to help.
Something else that didn't help this week was being without heat or hot water for 4 days. Sunday morning Sam was showering and yelled for me. His water had turned cold. We called the furnace guy several times, but it always quit working again. Finally, yesterday a different repairman came and spent several hours working on it. The end result was that we finally had heat and hot water again. What a blessing! We truly take those things for granted and don't even think about it most of the time.
In the back of my mind starting a new job has been weighing on me. I don't mind working and I really do want to get back into a job. This March I'll have 10 years with the Federal system and I want to continue to gain time for retirement. However, I just feel heavy about starting. It's probably a combination of being right in the middle of our move and things I've heard about the boss. I don't want to go into it with a negative attitude though. I'm really thankful to have the job, especially right now when we're having to get so much for the house.
There is an ongoing situation with the driveway at our new place. The neighbors (the grumpy elderly couple I mentioned before) are fighting with our contractor about what access we have. From what I understand we have the legal right to use part of their drive to get to our garage (where I park), but they are keeping a chain up and making it difficult for us. At this point, our contractor has contacted his lawyer and they'll be fighting it out in court. Oh joy! I just want to be able to easily get to my garage without having the neighbors stare out their windows or yell at us. Is that too much to ask???
I think I've mentioned it before, but our garage has two parking spaces right on top of each other - you just lift or lower it to access the spaces. Anyhow, Sam's truck is too long and heavy to fit, so we've been using that space for storage. I didn't want boxes in the house until I had a chance to clean, so whatever we've taken over has been stored in the garage. I think we'll probably continue to use it as storage and I'll use the other space to park. The picture to the right is Sam with one of the loads we took over to store in the garage.Quick update - I wrote the above entry Thursday night, but didn't get it posted. Now it's Friday evening and I'm exhausted. I spent a good 5 hours over at the house today scrubbing those dirty floors. My knees, shoulders and hands are talking to me from spending so much time on my hands and knees. It's such a reward though to see the finished product of a clean house.
Sam and I took a load over tonight. It's going to come together, but I still have a lot of packing to do. I'll be up early tomorrow morning trying to get it done before everyone arrives.
Our neighbor didn't disappoint. Right on cue, as I was putting the chain back up, he was walking out his door - I guess to let me know he saw that I moved the chain. I don't want issues with our neighbors. I just want to be left alone and able to park my car in the garage. I really hope that situation gets settled before too long. On a bright note though, we have a really nice neighbor in the multi-family home in front of us. He's from Bosnia and owns the house. He made it into 4 apartments. He and his family will live in one. Anyhow, he's been very nice.
Well, wish us luck with our move tomorrow. We want to get everything out this weekend, so I can clean and be out of here by Thursday.

No comments:
Post a Comment