I was going to spend two weeks in Virginia with Sam, but as it got close to the time Elly and I were originally scheduled to leave Alaska, I started to get worried about having her in the hotel in Virginia for that long. Sam would be in class all day and I couldn't see myself venturing out much on my own, so it would be just me and Elly...in a hotel room...all.day.long. I figured that could be the longest 2 weeks of my life. It sounded much more appealing to stay an extra week in Alaska with my family. And I was so glad I did. I totally enjoyed that extra time at home.
By the time we were heading to Virginia I was really done with travelling and just wanted to be back in Germany already, so in all honestly I wasn't too excited about this leg of the trip. By this time, we had been gone from Germany for 9 weeks and it was getting a little long.
I was dreading the trip alone with Elly, but it went remarkably well. She is such a great little traveller. It really helps for her to have her own seat. I've taken too many flights in the last two years where I had to hold her on my lap the entire way, so it was a real blessing to have that extra seat this time. She never sleeps well on the flights, but she's happy and a little sweetheart. I had several people compliment her. She chattered and sang almost non-stop and I appologized to the people around us, but they all said she was great and it was sweet to hear her chatter.
It's always nice to get our little family back together though. I miss my husband and Elly really misses her Daddy when we're not together. When we were in Alaska I tried to get Elly on the video cam with Sam, but it's just not the same for her and I think she doesn't really understand why he's not around.
Elly and I arrived in Virginia Thursday night and the next day Sam's parents arrived from Pennsylvania. We had seen them just a few weeks before in Hawaii, but it was really nice to spend a couple of days with them again. Elly loves her Oma and Opa and was thrilled to see them again.
That first evening we planned to go to Mount Vernon, but by the time Sam got out of class and we drove there it had already closed for the day. So, we just went for a walk and out to dinner. We planned to return the following day.
The next day we finally made it back to Mount Vernon and had a really nice day doing that tour and walking the grounds. We've seen so many historical places during our travels in Europe that it's really nice to see some of our (as in America's) historical sites.
Knowing we were going to be in Virginia for Sam's class, I had made plans to drive over to West Virginia to see my Grandma. I don't get to see her very often and want to take advantage of anytime I'm near to spend a little time with her. I was very concerned about the trip alone with Elly though. She does great for about 1-2 hours and then she gets frustrated with being in the car seat. As it turned out, Sam's parents were heading back to Pennsylvania on Sunday afternoon and driving in the same general direction, so we decided to make the trip together. It worked out great because Elly went in their car and was entertained by Oma for several hours of the trip. When it came time for them to change directions to go on to Pennsylvania we stopped at a gas station and moved Elly back to my car. It was such a huge blessing to have that help on the way there and I know Elly enjoyed her trip MUCH more than she would have if she had been with me the whole way.
By the time we separated ways, I only had about another 1 1/2 hours to go, so the trip went far better than I thought it would. I always love going back to Fairmont. I love my Grandma's little house. We were never around our grandparents much through the years because we lived so far away, but it was always special to go back to Grandma's. Unfortunately, she had gotten sick the day or so before we got there so she wasn't feeling very well. We were only able to be there just over a day because I was supposed to meet up with another friend back in Virginia. As it turned out, I didn't get with my friend so we could have stayed another day or two. Too bad we didn't know at the time. Grandma didn't feel like doing much so we just stayed around her house, but at least I got to spend a little time with her.
Taking a nap back at the hotel
Tuesday morning Elly and I headed back to Ft. Belvoir after stopping by Grandma's to say goodbye. I was not looking forward to that long trip back. Elly's not the greatest traveller after a couple of hours. God was looking out for me though. Elly ended up sleeping a good portion of the trip and woke up just as I was getting on the beltway around D.C., which is really confusing. I was so worried that she would start screaming at that point when I really needed to pay attention to where I was going so I didn't make a wrong turn. She did cry briefly, but I was so thankful when she calmed down and before I knew it I was pulling into the gate at Belvoir. I was so thankful to have that trip over with. I don't like travelling with just me and Elly.
Some of our days in Virginia ended up being a little long and boring, but it was so hot outside that I didn't care to venture out. Oma and Opa brought Elly a little tent for an early birthday gift, which she really enjoyed playing with in the room. Quite a few times, when Sam got home in the evening, we took Elly down the street to a playground. She loved it! I think it was definitely a highlight for her. This picture looks a little out of place among on the playground photos, but this is so Elly. She loves to act like Mama. She's very pleased with herself when she gets to play with grown up toys.
One day we met up with some of Sam's family. His cousin Amanda lives nearby and her dad was visiting so we met them for dinner one evening.
These woodchucks were EVERYWHERE on Ft. Belvoir. They are much bigger than I thought they would be. I found myself saying "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood..." :)
Our last evening in Virginia we met up with Michele and went bowling on post. I thought Elly looked so cute in her little bowling shoes :)
Elly's at that age where she LOVES to try on shoes. She had fun with Michele's bag and flip flops.
Elly liked the arcade room
Michele and Elly back in our room at Lodging.
The next morning we were on our way to the next location in our never-ending vacation....Florida.
Next and final installment coming soon....I hope :)

No comments:
Post a Comment