Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

Alaska trip ~ Part 1 (Sam's time there)

I've been thinking it's about time for a blog update. Elly and I have been in Alaska since the middle of July. We have just one more week here then we'll be heading back to Germany. I just LOVE being home (both Alaska and America) and really don't look forward to getting back to Germany. There are things about Germany that I like and I certainly look forward to being back with Sam, but I sure wish we didn't live so far away.

It's amazing to me how much Elly is growing up and changing. She has a mouthful of teeth these days. She has 11 teeth showing and is still working on the other top molar (tooth #12). Those molars have really been giving her a hard time. It got so bad a couple of weeks ago that she refused to nurse for an entire day until we finally figured out what the problem was. Thank God for Oralgel! It has been a real life saver for her and myself.

She shakes her head "no" all the time anymore. It's pretty much the given answer to every question I ask her these days. She hasn't actually said "no" yet and I'm glad because somehow shaking her head is much more charming to me at this point. I'm sure the day will come when it will be accompanied by her saying "no" too.

Some new words she's been saying are "ucky"(if something is yucky) and "sticky", "Papa" (for Grandpa), "light" and "potty" . She's said some different names of people that she's met here too. She signs "water" and "hungry". It's funny to me and a little embarrassing to take her to the store because she has to say hi to EVERYONE. She has the cutest little lilt in her voice when she says it. Chad says we're going to have problems when she says it that way to the boys when she's 16 :) I think he's right.

It's amazing how much she understands. I actually have conversations with her and she totally understands what I'm saying. I love it! Just the other day I knew she was going potty in her diaper and she came over to me so I asked her if she was all done going poo. She thought about it and shook her head no and walked away. A little later she came back and I asked her again if she was done and she ran down the hallway to our room to get a diaper. Another time I was in the kitchen and she brought me a diaper, so I checked her and sure enough she needed changed. She is just so much fun and such a little doll baby. We could not have been blessed with a sweeter, more precious baby. We hit the jackpot with Elly:)

Sam was here with us for the first two weeks. Unfortunately the weather was not cooperating and it was quite rainy and chilly. We wanted to get out and do some things, but it didn't really happen. It's so much harder to do things when you have a baby to consider. There were trips we wanted to make, but thought they would be too difficult on Elly. We wanted to climb Donnelly Dome, but it was too rainy and cold. And then he had to head home right before the fair in town started. I felt bad for him, but there wasn't much we could do about the situation.

Anyhow, here are a few pictures from the first couple of weeks when Sam was here ~


Sam and Elly ready to head to church

Leaving for church that first Sunday

One afternoon we went down to our land to see if the survey had been completed. Elly really enjoyed the 4-wheeler ride.

There are definitely bear in this area, so Sam was prepared.

Our little family in the driveway of our land

Sam had an audience when eating his ice cream. Elly shares her Daddy's love for ice cream, although she doesn't get it very often.

Jumping on the trampoline with Daddy

Mom and Dad had to end up putting their little Chihuahua (Sweetie) in the room alot because Elly kept wanting to get kisses from her and feed her. They both enjoyed the interaction, but I wasn't real impressed with the doggie kisses.

Eli and Elly ~ Cousins, just 6 days apart

Playing outside Kristy's place

Elly learned to climb stairs by watching Eli. She still hasn't quite figured out how to get back down though :)

Playing with beads at the Golden Days Parade

Such fun!

Elly with Grandma and Papa

Kristy and I with the babies

Tired after a long, exciting day

This year marks our towns 50th anniversary. We went to the celebration at the city park.

Mom with the two youngest grandkids

Elly and Eli keeping busy

Mom with her three youngest

Dad had a big pile of wood that needed cut and split for the winter. Sam and Connor worked the splitter.

Dad and Dwight

Connor and Sam with the day's accomplishment

We drove out by Donnelly Dome one day. We had planned to climb it, but the weather didn't work with us. We did see a caribou though.

I love this picture!

Sam's last day here we went to a musk ox farm. He didn't fly out until later in the day so we checked this place out with Kristy and the family.

On a teeter totter. The first time for Elly.

Eli and Elly

They really enjoyed the swings!

No comments: