Sadly, Mom and Dad left yesterday morning. Since they were scheduled to fly out of Frankfurt, we left the house at 6:00 to give us enough time for the drive, getting checked in and finding the gate. I hate saying goodbye to my family. Someday I hope to live close to them again. Visits are not enough for me because it's never enough. It's just a visit. Not everyday life, but everyone on top of each other for a few weeks and no matter how much we enjoy being together it's never as comfortable as when we can interact on a more regular basis and not try to force everything into a few weeks. I always feel like I need to soak it all up while they're here to hold me over to the next visit, but it just doesn't work that way.
The house felt very empty when we got home from Frankfurt. It was strangely quiet with just the two of us in the house...not counting the two bickering cats. Mom often leaves me a little note when they've been here visiting. It's always nice to hear from her one more time. She didn't disappoint and I found the note in the guest room. Thanks Mom :o)
I'm coming down with some bug. Dad was pretty sick a couple of days they were here, then Sam came down with it a few days ago. Yesterday morning I started feeling a sore throat. Hopefully I can get over it by Monday. I'm sure a call to my boss on Monday morning would not be very welcome. Especially since it's my last week with NAF. I know my plate will be quite full with finishing things up with that job in time to move to the other one the following Monday.
During my previous blogs about Mom and Dad being here I somehow skipped over several days and also failed to post our trip to Venice, which was awesome! So, even though it's late and out of order I'm still going to post it.
First though, just a couple of days after they got here we went to Berg Hohen Zollern which is a castle that is very close to us and is still owned by the royal family which once occupied it. They were the rulers of Prussia and the sole heir owns it now and has private quarters in the castle where he lives when in the area.
Some of us (not me) were feeling energetic, so we decided to climb the hill to and from the castle. Keep in mind - castles by nature are at the very top of the hill. I wasn't incredibly excited about it, but figured I could use the exercise too, so off we went. At the end I was glad we walked it. We had a lot of fun.
Sam on the way to the castle
Me and Sam at the castle entrance
Mom sitting in the castle wall
Mom looking out one of the guard towers
Sam and Dad standing on the castle gate covering the mote
One of the towers
Mom and Dad
This is where we entered for the tour of the castle - unfortunately, no pictures were allowed inside.
Now on to Venice. One week after Mom and Dad got here we headed to Venice, Italy. It was about a 6 to 8 hour drive and through the most beautiful country. Our trip took us from Germany, through the Alps of Austria and then into Italy. I can't even explain how beautiful it was. We were right in the mountains and gorgeous scenery surrounded us. There were small villages nestled into the mountainsides. There's no way a picture can do it justice.
On the way down we had breakfast in Germany, lunch in Austria and dinner in Italy. This is the view we had while having lunch in Austria.
This is not the best picture because we were driving, but it gives an idea of the houses scattered on the mountainsides. By the time we made it to Mestre (the newer part of Venice which is not part of the islands) we had been travelling all day and had been in heavy traffic the last hour or two. Once again, I was so thankful for Tom-Tom navigating us right to the hotel. It was about 8:00pm and as we made our way to the hotel I was wondering what my friend, Marika, had gotten us into. It looked like a very shady part of town, an industrial area, and lots of seedy characters hanging out on the street corners. I was not very comfortable with the situation and our hotel ended up being right in the middle of it all. I had reservations about staying there after seeing the area it was in, but we decided to check it out.
It was very basic to say the least. Just one double and two twin beds and one very small bathroom with the smallest shower I've ever seen. Seriously, I think it was about as wide as Sam's shoulders. I still don't know how he or Dad managed to take a shower in it. But we figured all we needed was a place to sleep while we were there, so it would work. We were all hungry and decided to walk to a restaurant close by. We had to give our car keys to the man at the front desk because the parking area was so small that they had to have the keys in case they needed to move the car.
I honestly was very worried about our things being stolen. We couldn't leave anything in the car for safe keeping because they had the key, neither did I feel secure leaving anything in our room since they also, obviously, had a key to that. In the end, we decided things would probably be safer in the room, but we did our best to hide anything of value.
Mom standing in the world's smallest shower (notice the broken door)
We had many discussion on what we thought this extra little "toilet" was, but I'm pretty sure it was a bidet since I don't think it was intended for foot washing. Whatever it was - I steered clear of it. We walked to a small cafe and had pizza. It was hot and we were all rather miserable. On our way back to the room we were approached by a man who may have just been friendly, but he made me want to hold on to my purse a little tighter. We were happy to drop into bed that night no matter how hard the mattresses were.
It's amazing how a night's sleep and sunlight can change your outlook in a situation. The next morning the sun was shining brightly and it looked so beautiful outside. After having a small continental breakfast at the hotel, we headed out to catch the bus to Venice. That was another interesting experience. We missed the first bus because we hesitated. People were crammed onto the bus and silly us - we thought we'd wait for the next bus because surely it wouldn't be so packed :) We finally caught on and decided when the next bus got there we would just cram on with everyone else. These Europeans know how to pack people on a bus. For the ride over to Venice we were all standing and I could barely even move my arms. We certainly felt like sardines.
Mom and Dad outside the Monte Piana hotel where we stayed
Venice was truly amazing! Before our trip I really didn't understand that Venice is a cluster of small islands connected by bridges for the most part. There are water canals that run through the whole area and you walk everywhere because there's no room for roads. Boats ferries take you between all the islands. When we got off the bus we took a boat up through the Grand Canal. There were stops all along the way that we could get off at. Something interesting to see is everything being delivered by boat because there is no access for vehicles. Mail, laundry, furniture, groceries, trash pick up....everything. They even have emergency boats and police boats.
Furniture being delivered by boat.
The shoreline of San Marco Square
One of the many canals
Another canal with gondolas We got off at San Marco Square and started our adventure. There was so much to see. So many little stores to shop in. It's definitely a tourist town. It was obvious that tourism is what their economy is based on.
Mom and Dad on the walkway from the boat
Me, Sam and Dad standing by a canal.
Feeding the pigeons in Piazza San Marco.
Mom absolutely loved this!
We took ferries to two other islands. Murano is known for their blown glass and Burano is known for their lace and doilies. At the end of the day we realized we had just touched the surface of Venice and needed about a week there to really take it all in. Once again, pictures just don't do it justice, but it's absolutely beautiful and unique.
Waiting for the next boat
Sam and I on a bridge in Murano
Canal in Murano
Sam and I on the boat after a long day in Venice Well, that was our trip to Venice. It's a shame that pictures can't do it the justice it deserves. We'll definitly go back some day, but I think we'll stay for several days next time. There's so much more to see than what we had time for.


4 comments:
Misty,
Thanks for blogging it all. I haven't gotten around to putting my 2 cents worth in yet. It was a wonderful trip. Thanks for showing us such a wonderful time. Mom
Misty thank you for sharing your time with your Mom and Dad. It was so good to see them again. It sure looked like you all had a great time. It sounds like a lot of fun. I don't know about the hill to the castle though. I would have to seek another way I am afraid. Anyway. Thanks so much for sharing.
Misty thank you for sharing your time with your Mom and Dad. It was so good to see them again. It sure looked like you all had a great time. It sounds like a lot of fun. I don't know about the hill to the castle though. I would have to seek another way I am afraid. Anyway. Thanks so much for sharing.
Nice photos of Venice! I was last there in 1991, so maybe it's time for me to go again!
Love, Stephanie
Post a Comment