Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

It's hot!! I want the rain back!

We have a lot of different trees in our back yard. Several huge evergreens and a some smaller trees and bushes. This picture is of one of those trees that has blossomed beautifully. It just looked like a small tree until these beautiful blooms started popping out. It's absolutely gorgeous and thought you all might enjoy it too. The blooms remind of a hibiscus. I don't know what it is though. The steps and the door you see lead into the garage.

A close look at the flowers.



This is a Johannes Berry bush. We have several in the back yard with lots of bright red berries on them. I would love to make some jelly out of the berries so they don't go to waste, but haven't been able to find canning jars or pectin. I need to look in some German stores I suppose. I don't think they're the tastiest berries, but would probably do alright in a jelly.

It has been HOT, HOT, HOT in Germany the last few days. Sunday (in the sun) it was 104º. We've been doing our best to keep the sun out of the house by keeping the rolladens down during the day, but even so, these houses just heat up like a brick oven. It'll take a few days to cool off once we get cooler weather again. We have been sleeping in the guest room downstairs because it's about 80º upstairs and that's just not comfortable to sleep in. I'm thankful we have a basement to go to when it gets this hot.

Saturday evening we went to a birthday party for one of the girls that works with Sam in CYS. Those of you who really know me, know that I was not at all excited about spending the whole evening with a large group of people that I don't know. I knew it was important to Sam though, so we went. He absolutely loves going to parties and interacting with everyone. It did end up being a really nice evening. Sam had a lot of fun playing volleyball. It was an interesting group of people. About half American and half German. It was a beautiful place and I should have taken pictures. It was on a farm, way out in the country. They had a cookout and we sat at tables in the shade of a huge walnut tree. It's a place my Mom would absolutely love. Chicken coop, barn, farm house and all.

On the way to the birthday party, Sam wanted to run the truck through the car wash. There was one on the way that he had been wanting to try. He bought a ticket for the car wash at the gas station across the road. I think where we went wrong was putting the ticket in before driving in. It was not a drive through and the brushes started going before we got in there. At one point Sam didn't think it was reaching the back of the truck so he backed up and the wash just stopped. He moved the truck forward....nothing. We were stuck. There was a concrete wall in front of us and the brush rollers were sitting on the back of the truck. Finally, about 45 minutes later the gas station attendant was able to get someone to come help. I'm sure he was thinking "Stupid Americans...." He said that we shouldn't have taken the truck in, but there were no signs saying not to.

Today I went to the doctor. I've been having a lot of pain in my right shoulder. It's hurt on and off for a couple of years. I just assumed it was strain from working at a computer and reaching for a mouse all day. Then it got much worse once we moved to Germany. Maybe I strained it during packing or toting a heavy duffel bag of groceries to and from the Romerhof when we were staying there. Whatever it is......it hasn't gotten better in 3 months. The doctor didn't see anything unusual, so just put me on heavy anti-inflammatory medicine. She's also sending me to a physical therapist for further help. I'm really hoping that this helps because the pain has been keeping me up at night.

Sam and I have finally gotten ourselves back to the gym. It's so hard to get back into it, but we've been going steady now for about a month. At first we were going to the gym at Patch Barracks, but since it's further away Sam wasn't able to come home and shower before work. He would just take clothes with him. It's wasn't very convenient for long term. We tried the Kelley Barracks gym, which is much closer and it has worked out great. It's not very busy and Sam is able to come home before heading to work. I've been a little frustrated with being unable to do any upper body exercises. I'm hoping my shoulder starts feeling better real soon.

Well, that's about it for now. Here's one more parting shot of our baby. Gabby lives for food and going outside. Sam takes her out usually every morning and evening. She complains every time we bring her in.

No comments: