Pages

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Our life up to now


In January 1999 my Mom and I were on our way to an Army training on Kauai. I had no idea I would soon meet my future husband. Our luggage was lost on the way over, so we ended up going to class the next day wearing the same travel worn clothes. Not the best way to start our training. One of the first people I remember noticing as class started was this guy sitting directly in front of me. It was nearly impossible to ignore him as he was constantly doing something to get attention and make people laugh. He was cute, but I didn't pay alot of attention to him at first. Sam says he was to the point of doing backflips trying to get my attention. He kept every day of the training interesting and fun. It wasn't until nearly the end of the week before we got to know each other and there was a definite attraction. I was sure I would never see him again. Not only did he live in Hawaii and I lived in Alaska, but we were so different....it would never work out. We wrote a couple of letters to each other, but didn't keep in touch.
Jump ahead 3 years to May 2002. I was working in Human Resources at Ft. Wainwright, AK and his name came across my desk as the supervisor of one of our new employees. As such, I had to send him a letter of reference. Of course I included a short personal note. Not even a week went by before an email popped up on my screen from him. For the most part we haven't gone a day without talking or emailing since.
I think from the beginning we both knew we were heading toward marriage. We just had to work out the details of us living so far apart. I tried to get a job in Hawaii to give us a chance to know each other on a daily basis, however that never worked out. So, after two years of long distance dating (with occasional visits) we decided to just go for it. I was visiting him in April 2004 and about 30 minutes before taking me to the airport he asked me to marry him.

We decided to get married September 4, 2004 in Fairbanks, Alaska. Just a few days after our wedding we were off to our new life together in Hawaii.

No comments: